Acer Aspire E 15 freezing randomly, hard reset required

Laina
Laina Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I bought an Acer Aspire E15 E5-576G-5762 less than a year ago. Within the last couple of months (noticed bc of online classwork issues) it's started to freeze at random. Usually when I have chrome open or word open, as far as I can tell. The clock freezes, it's completely unresponsive. The only way to fix is a hard reset by holding the power button and it starts right back up. I have Kaspersky full virus protection so I'm fairly certain theres no issue with a virus. I play Witcher 3 on medium quality several hours at a time and it doesn't freeze then. Can anyone give me any idea on what could be causing this issue as it is incredibly frustrating and all the hard resets can't be good for the machine.

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,198 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    Laina

Hi,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience.    Please try these basic steps and check how the computer is working fine.     If it is still not working we can always reload the operating system.   However doing recovery is only a last step.    Let us do it  one step at a time..    Sometimes external peripherals which are connected to your computer might also freeze your computer.  

Hi,

These are the basic steps that you need to follow.

Power Drain test for laptop.

If your computer is not having the inbuilt battery follow these steps.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.

2.  Remove the battery if it is not inbuilt.

3.  Hold the power button for 50 seconds.

4.  Connect all the cables back

5.  Turn on the computer.

Steps to remove the battery.

1.  Turn off the computer.   Remove all the cables and devices including power cable

2.  Turn the laptop upside down.  Flip the laptop.  On the back of laptop there will be a unlock switch.  You need to move the switch to the left or right and then you need to pull the battery door out.  

If your computer is having an inbuilt battery follow these steps.

Power Drain test.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.

Flip the laptop.  On the back of the laptop there will be a tiny hole.  It is called a battery reset hole.  There will be a battery symbol right next to the hole.

2. You need to insert a paper clip or small pin gently inside the hole and hold it for    30 seconds. 

3. Plug all the cables back and turn on the computer.

Step 2

Bios Defaults.

1. Turn on the computer and keep on tapping f2.  It will go to bios setup utility

2. Press f9 once on the bios setup screen.   It will show you bios defaults.  Please press yes.

3. Press f10 on the bios setup screen.  It will show you "yes" to save the changes.  Please press yes.

Computer will automatically restart and it will load windows..

Please check how it is working now..

If you decide to do recovery in the future, please follow the steps below

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are different ways of doing recovery.

Please remember if you do a recovery everything on the computer will be wiped out and it will become a brand new computer.

Method 1

Press and hold the Power key for 5 seconds to power the system off completely.

Press the Power key to turn on the computer.

Press the Alt and F10 keys at the same time when the Acer logo appears on the screen. ...

Select Troubleshoot.

Click Reset your PC. This process will erase all data on the your system.   You will see "keep my files" and  "Remove everything"

Choose the Refresh your PC option or "keep my files" if you want to restore your system and retain your data.  There will be an application loss if you chose "keep my files" option.

chose " remove everything " and click on "Just remove my files"

Click Reset to begin the recovery.

If the "just remove my files" option is not working you can try "fully clean the drive"

Method 2

If you are able to boot the windows

click on start, settings, update and recovery, recovery, reset this pc

It will show you "keep my files " and "remove everything" to continue with the recovery process

Method 3

You can start the recovery process using the recovery media which is designed for your computer.

It might be a set of cds or recovery flash drive which you can get it from Acer store.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before doing the recovery you can follow these steps.

Please follow the steps below..

Quick Fixes to Windows 10 Suddenly Extremely Slow and Unresponsive Issue

Method 1. Reboot your computer

If your computer has not been rebooted recently, make sure to reboot it before following any of the fixes below.

Method 2. Scan for malware or viruses

If your computer is infected with one or more viruses, this can cause your computer to run slow. Use your antivirus software scan your computer.   If you have third party programs you can also use to remove the virus.

Method 3. Close background programs

One of the most common reasons for a slow computer are programs running in the background. Remove or disable any TSRs and startup programs that automatically start each time the computer boots. To see what programs are running in the background and how much memory and CPU they are using, open Task Manager. Choose the one and close.

Method 4. Update Windows

Make sure that you have the latest Windows updates installed on your PC. If you are on the Internet when your computer is slow, make sure all browser plugins are up-to-date.

Fix 1. Delete temp files

Press the window key and letter r on keyboard.    On the run window

Type temp.  click on ok.   It will show you the junk files.

Remove the temp files.    You can use ctrl + a on keyboard to highlight all files.    Then use shift + del key on keyboard to remove all the files.  If you are unable to remove some files just click on try again and then click on skip.    You can check the small box and then you can click on skip so that you can avoid skipping the files individually.

On the run window type %temp%

It will show you the junk files.   Please remove it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run Disk cleanup.

On the run window.   Type cleanmgr

It will show you the list.   You can uncheck recycle bin, downloads and thumbnail.   Click on ok.    It will be running the disk cleanup  

Fix 2. Free up Windows 10 disk space

Please remove any unwanted files on your computer to increase the storage space.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2:

Try  Windows + x  -  Go to command prompt admin or Power shell admin

Run sfc /scannow on the black command prompt window

It will repair the operating system files. 

Step 3

Create a local user account

1. Select the Start  button, select Settings  > Accounts  and then select Family & other users. (In some editions of Windows you'll see Other users.) 
    2. Select Add someone else to this PC.
    3. Select I don't have this person's sign-in information, and on the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    4. Enter a user name, password, password hint or choose security questions, and then select Next.

Change a local user account to an administrator account

1. Under Settings  > Accounts  > Family & other users, select the account owner name, then select Change account type.
    2. Under Account type, select Administrator and OK.
    3. Sign in with the new administrator account.

Please check whether your computer is working faster now.   Otherwise follow the next steps.

Step 4

You can do a clean boot an check

How to perform a Windows 10 clean boot

1. Right-click the Start button.

2. Click Search.

3. Type msconfig and hit Enter on your keyboard

4. Click Services.

5. Click the checkbox next to Hide all Microsoft services.

6. Click Disable all.

7. Click Startup.

8. Click Open Task Manager.

9. Click any startup program you suspect might be interfering.

10. Click Disable. Repeat steps 9 and 10 for all startup programs.

11. Click the X to close Task Manager.

12. Click OK in the System Configuration window.

13. Restart your PC.

Check whether your computer is running faster now..

Step 5. 

If the steps mentioned above are not working for you then you can start the recovery process..

If the above steps are helpful for you please click "like"

If the above steps resolves your issue please click "yes"

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★