AN515-54-563Y Bios does not show boot options

Rajaram11
Rajaram11 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, i recently purachsed Acer Nitro AN515-54-563Y. It came with 1TB HDD and Windows 10. This laptop has two nvme ssd ports. I purchased crucial 1TB nvme m.2 ssd device and installed it. Windows detected the ssd drive and i initialised it, formatted it as GPT. So now disk0 is HDD which is running windows and disk1 is SSD which is blank.
Now i want to install Ubuntu on disk1 SSD. I prepared a ubuntu bootable usb following instructions from Ubuntu website. Now when i restarted my laptop, it booted from USB and got installation menu. But when i could not see the ssd drive when it asked me to select location for install. Not sure why it was only displaying disk0 that already has windows. I canceled installation and removed USB. 
Then i went into Bios, i could see ssd on the information panel. But on boot menu i could only see Windows boot manager and did not see any other device to alter boot priority. I am not sure how it booted from usb at the first place. Anyways i disabled secure boot, disabled fast boot, set sata mode to AHCI, and save and restarted. Logged into Windows, now i could see ssd drive in disk management but ssd was disk0 and hdd was disk1. I reentered bios and could not find ssd on bios information panel. So i changed sata mode back to Rst premium with Optane. And ssd was visible in information panel.

Questions:
1. How can i view variuos devices connected to laptop in bios boot menu to set boot priority. 
2. Is it possible to install multiple OS on different devices. I dont want to install on a different partition on the same drive. 
3. If i clone hdd onto ssd using Cloning softwares that crucial recommends, and restart, what will happen or what should happen. I havent tried this option yet as i am afraid it might confuse Bios and system might not come up. Basically i want Bios to let me decude which device i want to use to boot. 
4. Can i install Windows 7 on the new ssd. 

Boot mode only gives me UEFI and no other option. 

Answers

• Rajaram11
    I figured answer for 1. How can i view variuos devices connected to laptop in bios boot menu to set boot priority...
    But not sure. 
    When mutiple devices have bootable records, they will show up in bios and can be selected. I had two usb with windows recovery plugged in. And they showed up in bios.
    Now will test with ubuntu usb and a blank usb. 
  • Rajaram11
    I was able to install Ubuntu on the new ssd. 
    We must set sata mode to ahci, only then ssd will be recognized by ubuntu (even though it doesnt show up in bios information panel).
    Boot from usb Ubuntu installer. On the grub bootloader menu, select install ubuntu and hit 'e' key and follow instructions from below link.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2408864&page=2
    Once ssd is recognized continue to create partitions and install on ssd. 
    You should be able to successfully install ubuntu. 
    Intel Wifi Ax200 will not work, so you will have to update kernel to >5.1 version. Wifi will start working automatically. Till then you can use usb tethering to connect to internet to download files.
    Now when i start my laptop, it opens up grub bootloader and gives mein option to start ubuntu, start windows boot manager and enter bios.