edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Lemme get right to the point I have an acer predator helios 300
i7 8750H
GTX 1060 6gb vram
32 gb ram
2tb hdd 256gb ssd
Windows 10
144hz

While playing games I get these fps drops. They happen every once in a while(maybe once every 3 or so mins). For example while play destiny 2 I normally get 110 fps but when it drops it goes to 2 fps and then 30 then 50 and so on till it goes back to 110. This also happens in other games such as r6 CSGO and GTA.
The computer is only 4 months old. What could be the problem? 
I have heard it could be temp throttling but my gpu stay with in 90-100c which is the normal range for laptop gpu while gaming. I don’t think it’s my wifi I mean it’s not the best but it shouldn’t cause these drops.
Pls help I really wanna get this fixed

Answers

• Arian777
    Arian777 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Hey bud,

Im almost certain its one of these 3 problems,

90-100C is not okay, I had that until 2 days ago, DO NOT listen to anyone who says that your laptop can handle it and that it is designed to withstand those temps. That is just stupid.
    Ive hea
    rd that over 100 times.

I have to say this just in case, "Do it at you
    r own risk",

I would advice you to 
    reapply the thermal paste, I opened my laptop 2 days ago and I was hitting 95 degrees C almost every time Id play, the results were outstanding!!! *the temp decrease will differ from one laptop to another* but itll give you a huge boost! You can check my post for more details.

Let me tell you that this limits your CPU and GPU power if your PC/Laptop  overheats A LOT just so the temperatures wont go any higher. What that means is, once you hit 90 or 95C you CPU clock speed just goes down so itll use less power and the same applies to your GPU. So if your are going up and down in the 90-100 range your Performance is inconsistant because your laptop is trying to balance the power and the temps. Which causes FPS drops.

Update you
    r GPU to the latest version and Your BIOS if you havent, a lot of times this causes the fps drop. It will not lower the temps but it might cause the fps drops to disappear, eventhough its more likely (1.) to solve your problem.

**Only if youve unde
    rvolted or overclocked**
    If you have unde
    rvolted or overclocked your CPU or GPU, you might wanna change the value a bit . (if youve undervolted too much, increase the voltages a bit more and try playing games and see if you lag again and again until you get stable fps (try different games, to be sure its not from the game), note: Dont increase the voltages more than your default ones.
    If you have Ove
    rclocked, lower them a bit and balance it until it stabilizes just like the previous one.

Disabling the Intel graphics settings that pops up if you right click the desktop
    (you can see videos online)

I hope it helped
  • tacolemons
    tacolemons Member Posts: 4 New User
    Thanks I will definitely try these things. Also I have heard about this thing called liquid metal instead of thermal paste. Is that a good or bad idea? Also keep in mind I have some experience repairing and tinkering with parts.
  • tacolemons
    tacolemons Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited October 2019
    Ok I tried it seems to be better haven’t done thermal paste. My bad I was wrong last time here is temps runs at while gaming
    CPU 85-100
    GPU 80-95
    btw how do I tell if my laptop is getting enough power?