Acer Aspire E 15 E5-574G-52QU Freezing and not working properly all the sudden

BrokeGuy28
BrokeGuy28 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I purchased a Acer Aspire E 15 E5-574G-52QU a couple years ago and been using it pretty much daily since then. Last night it started slowing down and acting weird.. I let my nephew play his game before I fell asleep. When I woke up it was still acting weird and then my mouse disconnected and I got this blue screen error:
DPC Watchdog Violation (error code: DPC_Watchdog_Violation)

I researched this error and did something to to get rid of it. ( Updated  Chipset driver,Updated Nvidia Driver , ran chkdsk to see if hard drive was corrupted, turned off quick start up aswell)

After all this I managed to get rid of the "WatchDog" Error blue screen and was able to boot my laptop again. But now it freezes and very slow on any little thing I do. When I open task manager it takes a long time and blacks my screen for a split second and pops up and says my CPU 100% and everything else beside that looks fine.

Really not what sure to do. I am very poor I got laid off recently and need this Laptop for work etc.

So basically do I need to buy and replace the hard drive (found my WD10JPVX hard drive on amazon for 50$). Or replace the grahpics card (Geforce 940m) somehow??? Or the CPU??? Or is that even possible? I didn't see where I can buy one of those. Or should I just start saving up for a new Laptop?

Please any help would be appreciated greatly!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,006 Pathfinder
    @BrokeGuy28
    Try the below step in the link
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    If the above steps does not fix the issue than i would request you to do a reset on the laptop and check

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • BrokeGuy28
    edited October 2019
    @Jack22 I tried the clean boot with the link above, and it's still acting weird. When I open Task Manager it just freezes and doesn't load for a few minutes and stuck on 100%CPU. Also just to point out any graphics related content (Live Stream,Videos etc etc) show blurry and not loading all the way. Going to do the reset suggestion now.. Got nothing to lose at this point.

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,006 Pathfinder
    @Jack22 I tried the clean boot with the link above, and it's still acting weird. When I open Task Manager it just freezes and doesn't load for a few minutes and stuck on 100%CPU. Also just to point out any graphics related content (Live Stream,Videos etc etc) show blurry and not loading all the way. Going to do the reset suggestion now.. Got nothing to lose at this point.

Ok. Try reset and let us know
  • BrokeGuy28
    @Jack22 I completed the reset and it seems to have made my laptop run normal again. But when I open Task Manager it still says 100%cpu for a couple seconds and shows all white no process's or anything, then the cpu % drops to normal and shows everything. Other then that it seemed to have work and able to use this again for the time being... so THANK YOU
  • BrokeGuy28
    After I did the full Windows reset as showed in the link above where @Jack22 suggested my laptop seemed to work "better" and was usable again. I thought things were fixed when I went out for a little bit, when I come back my newphew said the fortnite game he was playing on laptop stopped working, and showed me that the game has crashed and popped up a error message about the Graphics Card or something... Ever since then it has been acting horrible again. I tried doing ANOTHER full windows reset on my laptop hoping it would work like last time. But now it still studders,random black screen, freezes, etc etc. When I try to open Task Mananger it freezes and shows 100% cpu, I let it run for like 5-10 minutes then it unfreezes and goes back down to 50% or so. I am even having problems typing this on this Acer Forum, it just comes up with a white screen and I have to refresh multiple times. I also managed to get in NVIDIA Control Panel to see if I could change anything there. Everytime I click on something on the CP it takes like 5 minutes to register, when I click "adjust image settings for preview" just to see whats going on, the preview looks pixelated and it freezes randomly when turning in circles.

I also booted in safe mode with networking and uninstalled/reinstalled/Updated the nvidia AND intel graphic drivers from Device manager.. This did not fix my problems.

Is there anything else I can do?
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

• Have you checked the temperatures? Also, have you tried turning off fast startup in power options?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BrokeGuy28
    edited October 2019
    Have you checked the temperatures? Also, have you tried turning off fast startup in power options?
    Hey thanks checking this out and replying

Yeah temps running fine , I downloaded speccy to check. I’ve had this program for a while and usually scans very quick. But like my task manager and everything else now , it takes a solid 5 minutes or so of checking temps for it to complete.

I have not checked the fast start up. I also didn’t turn it on.. so unless that’s on by default I don’t think that’ll be solution. I will check it once I get home in 30 minutes or so though. 
  • BrokeGuy28
    edited October 2019
    egydiocoelho

Disabled fast start-up. 

Also took my Laptop apart and cleaned my cpu and gpu completely of the old thermal and put new thermal on it. ..

Still freezing at random times causing me to restart, still super slow, still wont load certain pages, and any video has blurry pixels on it and sometimes lines through it.
    When I open Task Manager it shows 100% cpu still and goes black screen for a second, then unfreezes and drops back down to 50%

Not sure what else to do, my next step probably is going to be taking the extra ram I recently just bought out of it then throwing the laptop against a wall... :)

Any help would be great
  • OK! Have you tried reinstalling windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BrokeGuy28
    edited October 2019
    OK! Have you tried reinstalling windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?

I have resintalled windows multiple times since @Jack22 suggested it.

Also I just went to my Display Adaptors in device management. Disabled Nvidia for the heck of it.. and it seems to be working a "little" better. My task manager actually opens and work after like 5-10 seconds AFTER opening it, instead of 5 minutes... But it's still not normal..      Not sure what this means, why nvidia would be messed up and not Inel HD Grahpics 520
  • Have you checked ram at acer care center?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BrokeGuy28
    Have you checked ram at acer care center?
        It has 16gigs of ram already. I don't think that's it
  • No. Have you taken the ram memory test at the acer care center as well as typing memory in the cortana?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BrokeGuy28
    No. Have you taken the ram memory test at the acer care center as well as typing memory in the cortana?
    Oh , no I have not. I have Cortana disabled. Never liked it. I opened up acre care center , where are these tests? 
  • CHECK HERE MY FRIEND:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BrokeGuy28
    CHECK HERE MY FRIEND:

Ran the memory test. Came up with nothing 
  • Have you tried resetting the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BrokeGuy28
    Have you tried resetting the bios?
    I had the battery unplugged for a hour or so when I was replacing the thermal on the cpu and gpu. Doesn’t that reset the bios ?
  • Not! I refer to pressing f9 on the bios and then f10.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BrokeGuy28
    Not! I refer to pressing f9 on the bios and then f10.
    I did this now and restored to default settings. Seems to have done nothing .. I re enabled my nvidia graphics driver and my laptop started freezing and acting weird again. It runs decently on just the Intel 520 HD with nvidia disabled. No idea why nvidia isn’t working but intel is