Windows 7 make recovery partition bootable on 5741G

Plajer
Plajer Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello!
I've switched to new laptop and took my SSD with me. I made a copy of Windows 7 and PQSERVICE on HDD and now I'm trying to boot, straight from recovery partition so I can install fresh Windows with the key included with recovery. However I can't boot with it... I set it to be bootable, tried alt+F10, nothing... Any solution?

Answers

• Harvey-Acer_Retired
    Harvey-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 330 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    Hi @Plajer

1 . Reboot or turn on your Acer computer.
    2 . Immediately start clicking the "F2" key and keep clicking until you see the BIOS setup menu.
    3 . Select (highlight) the "Boot" option in the BIOS setup menu using the left/right or up/down arrow keys on your keyboard and then press "Enter" to display the list of boot devices.
    4 . Select a boot device, for instance the CD/DVD drive, with the arrow keys.
    5 . Press "F6" repeatedly (or whatever key Acer says to use) to move the chosen device to the top of list. This will set the the new boot order on your Acer computer.
    6 . Press the "F10" key (or whatever key Acer says to use) to save the changes to BIOS.

Hit "Yes" if this helped you  :)
    Smile :)
  • Plajer
    Thank you for an answer.
    Unfortunately it's completely not what I asked for... To clarify my question, I probably have messed up the partiton table on that drive, so it doesn't wanna boot no matter what do I do in BIOS. The question (I think) is about how to manage flags for boot partition, how to setup proper MBR, how BOOTMBR, .bcd files should look like.

I tried to fix booting in windows while the drive was formatted in GPT. Originally it was MBR, so I have no idea what has changed.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,849 Trailblazer
    >>>I've switched to new laptop and took my SSD with me. >>>

Were both the old and new laptops 5741Gs? Generally speaking, since you already backed up the SSD, it might be easier to simply fresh install Win7 from a bootable USB installation stick using Microsoft's tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery and download any ACER-specific  drivers that may be needed. Trying to tweak the system reserved partition setup for a different machine may be a futile exercise. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Plajer
    New laptop doesn't matter. I cloned recovery and Windows partition to another drive. It should be fine, but a new drive was in GPT, old in MBR. I tried to fix boot while it was in GPT, that's why there is a problem now. Just computer doesn't recognize these partitions as bootable anymore. Fix should be possible, but requires good knowledge about booting, or at least a copy of BOOTMBR from similar machine, maybe some another files. That's why I'm here.

Installing a new copy would be easy... The only problem is a Windows licence. I'm not able to read the key correctly from the bootom of my laptop, and these devices didn't have the key saved in BIOS. Key is in recovery partition, and ofc in OS.

I could try to activate it by calling to Microsoft. I'm sure that if I'd like to install Windows 10, they would just activate it - even though it was never installed on that computer. However for Windows 7 they might be not willing to - technical help will end soon for this OS. First I want to try to recover old system, by the way I hope to learn something new. It's not the first time when I'm facing boot problem and I don't know what to do.
  • JackE
    Win7 generally will only boot from an MBR partitioned boot drive, not GPT partitioned. The new computer, if UEFI bootstrapper, must have legacy BIOS overlay option available in order boot from an MBR-partitioned boot drive. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Plajer
    I'm not sure how to make it clear, and it's very important - new computer doesn't matter here. Everything happens on old computer - Acer 5741G and two hard drives. Second one was formely partitioned in GPT. Now I switched it to MBR, so everything should be fine.

Here is where I'm guessing. I tried to fix patritions when the drive was formatted in GPT. This probably changed boot files and I can't revert it to original state. I thought it should be easy, apperently it's not.
  • JackE
    >>> Everything happens on old computer >>>

Old computer will NOT boot Win7 from a new GPT partitioned drive even if you were able to clone the new GPT drive from the old MBR-partitioned drive.  You must first convert the new GPT drive to MBR partitioning with Rufus. Then clone the newly partitioned MBR drive from the old MBR-partitioned drive. Then the old computer  should boot Win7 from the clone newly-partitioned MBR drive. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Plajer
    I have already converted it to MBR.
  • JackE
    How did you migrate the old drive to the new drive particularly if the new drive is smaller than the old drive? What did you use? MacriumReflect? AOMEI? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Plajer
    New drive is bigger. I had SSD previously, and I bought new computer with HDD. It was cheaper than laptop with SSD, and decent hard drive is working "ok" with old laptop in terms of performance.
    I copied all partitions one by one to HDD using "EaseUS todo backup free", which was back then partitioned in GPT. Then I had to convert my SSD from MBR to GPT, so I wiped it out, and then I copied all my files from HDD to SSD. On new laptop everything is working fine.
    At that point I had HDD in GPT with Windows 10 and all my previous data. I deleted Windows 10 and tried to fix boot for both Windows 7 and PQSERVICE (acer recovery partition) using different tools like Gparted for managing flags, Lilo for fixing MBR. Then I realised that this HDD is partitioned in GPT, so I copied PQSERVICE and Windows 7 partitions to yet another drive - I can't remember the method, it's possible I just copied files under Linux. Then I converted HDD from GPT to MBR and copied files once again. Here I am now, BIOS says it's invalid boot drive.

It is very likely that I'd be able to recover Windows 7 from yet another backup, but I'd like to install a fresh copy anyway, laptop will have a new user. And after all it's nice to have a recovery partition with windows key. That's why I want to make recovery partition bootable.
  • JackE
    >>>I can't remember the method, it's possible I just copied files under Linux. Then I converted HDD from GPT to MBR and copied files once again. Here I am now, BIOS says it's invalid boot drive.>>>

Sorry can't do this. Can't use Linux dd or any file copy functions that you might've used. They won't migrate/clone the original MBR partition tables and Win7 PQService, System Reserved & Win7 System partitions onto the new MBR partitioned drive.  You must use a tool like MacriumReflect to migrate from old to new MBR partitioned drives. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Plajer
    Both Lilo and Gparted can definitely be used to fix partition tables for Windows. My mistake was to do it while the drive was in GPT. Maybe even cloning to GPT drive was not right.

Anyway, I can see I won't find an answer here. Thank you for your attention.
  • JackE
    New drive must be MBR before you migrate old Win7 drive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ