Acer Aspire E5-476g-38MH runs very hot. Is this normal?

Darkwind
Darkwind Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I bought this new laptop and it runs really hot from the start. 1-2 mins after startup its already 37 Celsius on a non-ac room. I tried to make as much room for the vents. I haven't started gaming yet. Gaming gets it up to 40 but no frame drops. I'm satisfied with the performance but it's really hot. Is this normal for my laptop? 

Specifications:
Acer Aspire E14 E5-476G-38MH
Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 1503
14" CineCrystal 1366x768 LED
Intel i3-7130u 2.7GHz
4GB DDR4 RAM 2133MHz
1TB Toshiba HDD 5400 RPM
Nvidia MX150 2GB GDDR5
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
4-Cell Li-Ion 2800 mAh
65 Watts Maximum Wattage

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,441 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    Hi,
    That's not hot and it's normal, when the temps go above 90°C then you can think about the ways to reduce the temperature. I have posted my temps as soon as I started the laptop just as an example.

• Darkwind
    Hi,
    That's not hot and it's normal, when the temps go above 90°C then you can think about the ways to reduce the temperature. I have posted my temps as soon as I started the laptop just as an example.

I mean the outside temp of the laptop reaches 37 Celsius. When I open any gaming app it could reach above 40 in a matter of seconds. After half an hour of gaming it's now very hot. I checked with CPUID. This is what I got at startup.

• brummyfan2
    Hi,
    Can you identify any particular area getting hot, for example, is it near the HDD, Battery, Touchpad etc. 
  • Darkwind
    The first one to heat up is the part near the vent & the area where the intel and nvidia stickers are. Then the touchpad follows then the area with the aspire sticker follows. I think the HDD is directly below the middle of the touchpad and the stickers. I'm now using an old laptop cooling pad just to make it less hotter 
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    I think it could be the memory modules because they are seated behind the Intel sticker, try removing them and clean the pins with a soft cloth and reinsert the modules properly and see whether it makes any difference, please check the battery area as well for any excessive heat.

• Darkwind
    Ok thanks so I just hope this could be resolved when I buy a new additional RAM at the service center. The battery area doesn't heat up though surprisingly but it's pretty small for the specs of my laptop that it only takes 2hrs to drain.
  • Darkwind
    edited November 2019
    After going to the service center to install a 128gb NVME M.2 SSD on the M.2 slot and an additional 8GB DDR4 RAM, everything is fine now. The overheating was probably due to the very slow HDD & the 4GB RAM module was almost using full capacity from startup. The new NVME M.2 has made opening almost every program installed to open instantaneously and the heat problem is gone & battery consumption has dropped. Even Gaming doesn't make the laptop heat now after having a total of 12.2 GB DDR4 RAM.
  • Darkwind said:
    After going to the service center to install a 128gb NVME M.2 SSD on the M.2 slot and an additional 8GB DDR4 RAM, everything is fine now. The overheating was probably due to the very slow HDD & the 4GB RAM module was almost using full capacity from startup. The new NVME M.2 has made opening almost every program installed to open instantaneously and the heat problem is gone & battery consumption has dropped. Even Gaming doesn't make the laptop heat now after having a total of 12.2 GB DDR4 RAM.
    Glad to hear that everything is fine, thanks for the feedback  :)