Acer Travelmate p256-m upgrade

Roqqau
Roqqau Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi!

Got my hands on a free Travelmate p256-m and since it's quite slow I'm hoping to improve it's speed by istalling SSD.
Since it has no optic drive (only plastic dummy) I'm hoping I could just squeeze a caddy in there with the SSD.
Tho, I've read that the Sata port to the optic drive (ODD) could perhaps be slower then the one connecting the original HDD (Sata II or III, I don't know) Is it?
Can't find information on this by googling. I'm hoping anyone here could provide answers =)

Firstly: Any point in installing SSD in the caddy, or should I switch the original HDD to the caddy and put the SSD in the "original " place? Due to the type of port/connection to OD. I'm aware I need to clone Windows drive to SSD first.

Secondly: Do I need a ODD bracket and bezel for this to work, and if so what are the part numbers on these?

Thanks!
/Roqqau

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,305 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Ideally you should put the hdd in a 9.0mm caddy in place of the dvd. The 2.5 "ssd, you should put in place of hdd. About the speed of the sata odd port, I think you can check this information out on aida64.
    ODD BEZEL: https://www.amazon.com/FMS-Compatible-42-ML9N2-001-Replacement-E5-571-563B/dp/B07DFT4DNC
    It will work on your notebook.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,305 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Ideally you should put the hdd in a 9.0mm caddy in place of the dvd. The 2.5 "ssd, you should put in place of hdd. About the speed of the sata odd port, I think you can check this information out on aida64.
    ODD BEZEL: https://www.amazon.com/FMS-Compatible-42-ML9N2-001-Replacement-E5-571-563B/dp/B07DFT4DNC
    It will work on your notebook.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Roqqau
    Roqqau Member Posts: 2 New User
    I thought so. Many thanks for hasty reply.
    Was hoping I "just" had to put the  SSD in the caddy to save myself the trouble getting into the laptop. I.E. no inspection hatches or the like.
    Time for some old fashion "Breaking into the box".
    Thx again!

• OK! If my answer helped you, click yes to accept.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer