Arian777 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Laptop: Acer Helios 300 G3-571
CPU: I7-7700HQ
GPU: GTX 1060 6VRAM
RAM: 16GB
SSD:256

Hey guys,

Recently (3 weeks ago), my "R" key/button stopped working oddly enough.
The first day it would *sometimes* respond if I pressed and held the button for around 2-3 seconds, but wouldn't respond at all after the first day.

I can't figure out what caused it or why it happened but it's not a software problem that's for sure, since I connected another external keyboard and the button was working.
I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it again and it didn't solve anything.

I checked and cleaned underneath the button by pulling the key carefully as guided in a video. I removed the dust and some tiny hair that was there without the use of any liquid whatsoever.
Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem either.

P.S: I did notice that one of the "connectors" of the key was broken *the thing underneath the key which connects it to the "hinge"*, so now I also need a new key cap.

-What could be the problem and how to get it fixed? (I suspect the cable ribbon that is connected to the keyboard could have something to do with this, but usually when that's the case it affects more than one button, IDK at this point) Any suggestions?
-Where can I get a new "R" button for my laptop key since I cant really find one online, I've been searching a lot. I hope I don't have to buy an entire keyboard for this matter.

Thanks in advance I really hope you can help me out since I've been really trying hard to figure it out and I need my laptop to be fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    Arian777 well as far as i could understand from what you explained above because its only one of the keys not working might be the keyboard its faulty i think if it was the keyboard cable connector wouldnt affect only one single key there should be online shops if you google it that would have one single key for replace also they are expensive if it was me i would probably try to open it disconnect the keyboard and connect it again reassemble and test it again if the issue persists i would probably be thinking in getting a new keyboard instead of a single key cap because it wouldnt solve the issue anyway if its hardware wise anyway its just what i would do also if you contact @Kev0806 directly via PM he should have the part/s that you need he is an authorized acer parts partner good luck  :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Arian777
    edited October 2019
    xapim said:
    Arian777 well as far as i could understand from what you explained above because its only one of the keys not working might be the keyboard its faulty i think if it was the keyboard cable connector wouldnt affect only one single key there should be online shops if you google it that would have one single key for replace also they are expensive if it was me i would probably try to open it disconnect the keyboard and connect it again reassemble and test it again if the issue persists i would probably be thinking in getting a new keyboard instead of a single key cap because it wouldnt solve the issue anyway if its hardware wise anyway its just what i would do also if you contact @Kev0806 directly via PM he should have the part/s that you need he is an authorized acer parts partner good luck  :)
    I agree, I also believe that if it was the cable ribbon, it should have affected more than one key... But ill try to open it and detach the cable ribbon and connect it again.
    Ill also take a look if something else looks unusual, though I've never personally opened laptops before. I wont just buy the key cap if I don't fix the button obviously but thanks for the heads up anyways.
    Btw you said that I should contact @Kev0806 How can I PM him? I wasn't able to find a pm option/dm option.

Last but not least, what did you mean by "might be the keyboard its faulty" ? What exactly do you think is the problem, can I fix it or I've got no option but buying a new keyboard?

Thanks for the reply!

Edit:

I can message him now, I had to be promoted to unlock that option!

Please feel free to answer the other question ^_^
  • I'd just like to give you a suggestion: try resetting the laptop battery too:
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Arian777
    I'd just like to give you a suggestion: try resetting the laptop battery too:
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo
    Thanks for the suggestions :)
    As a matter of fact I will do it right away, and I will post in about 5-10 minutes if it made anything or not
  • Arian777
    edited October 2019
    I unplugged the AC, turned off my Laptop.
    Pressed and held the pinhole for around 5-10 seconds, however it didn't fix my problem.
    I know it was just a suggestion but Thanks anyways, you never know what can Fix it :D
  • So I think it's a keyboard problem.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Arian777
    @egydiocoelho

Pressed and held the pinhole for around 5-10 seconds, however it didn't fix my problem.
    I know it was just a suggestion but thanks anyways. Anything might work, you never know

:D
  • Arian777
    @egydiocoelho

I know it was just a suggestion but thanks anyways. Anything might work, you never know

:D