Blue Screen of Death (Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-585X)

makthefirst
makthefirst Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello Guys

I bought my laptop 3 months ago and this is the 4th time the laptop crashes (BSOD) and for someone who is doing his exams and student projects on this laptop this scares me a lot.

I'm a tech person and I have other laptops that never BSOD'd before so I'll explain the problem as good as I can:

1- IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is the error code everytime. 2 times it happened when I unplugged my HDMI cable to my TV and 1 time in school after waking from sleep and clicking on Chrome. 

##################################################

First crash logs:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0xffff93011c829200, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff80679079564). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: ae980048-9371-4004-bb86-f5347d14e93e.

Second crash logs:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x0000000000000040, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8042b8e7550). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.

Third crash logs:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x1000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff8008001f977, 0xffff94039be7e9b8, 0xffff94039be7e200). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090619-6812-01.dmp. Report Id: 11584cc9-3dde-4fa8-8640-03ea9c3ca4b7.

2- I think the forth and final crash was not related to the display drivers or display hardware. I unplugged the ethernet cable between 2 of my laptops while playing a Lan game that we usually play without problems (Only this laptop crashed). This crash is the newest so I can provide more details:

Forth crash logs:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x0000000000000040, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8034e227550). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101319-7218-01.dmp. Report Id: b76f171a-2f8f-44cb-906c-d2269243b7ab.

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 3003
Parameter 2: ffffb90dd573f5b0
Parameter 3: 40010000
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_18362
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.18362.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Please read this before you recommend "solutions" to me:
1- I have all the drivers up to date
2- My Bios is up to date (version 1.12) which is the newest
3- My RGB lighting is up to date
4- My wall adapter is up to date
5- My wall socket is up to date
6- My tv is up to date
7- My ethernet and HDMI cables are up to date
8- My Windows is up to date (Both my room windows and my laptop windows)
9- My car is up to date
11-YES I uninstalled/reinstalled intel drivers
12- YES I clicked on Check for updates
12- 100% no viruses
13- I haven't tried to "reset my pc" and I'm trying to avoid it fearing that it won't fix the problem

I'm afraid of taking this laptop with me or use it in my classroom or during exams  :(
Please help me guys at least to localize the problem and if it is only the integrated intel graphics that is causing the problem.

Thanks for advance guys.
Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    makthefirst

Hi,

Since you have tried most of the step on your own, I recommend you to try reset this pc by choosing "keep my files" option.   It will remove only the applications.    All the files will be intact. 

Please read the details..  

BSOD can be caused by both software and hardware. If the root cause is the first one, you just have to apply some tweaks. Otherwise, you may need to reformat the system.  Sometimes it might also be an update issue. 

Step 1: Remove external hardware

Sometimes, your device’s external devices can be the cause of blues screen stop errors. Unplug any external storage devices and drives, docks, and other hardware plugged into your device that isn’t needed for basic functionality, and then restart your device.

These are the basic steps that you need to follow.
    Power Drain test for laptop.
    If your computer is not having the inbuilt battery follow these steps.
    1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable.
    2.  Remove the battery if it is not inbuilt.
    3.  Hold the power button for 50 seconds.
    4.  Connect all the cables back
    5.  Turn on the computer.

Steps to remove the battery.

1.  Turn off the computer.   Remove all the cables and devices including power cable
    2.  Turn the laptop upside down.  Flip the laptop.  On the back of laptop there will be a unlock switch.  You need to move the switch to the left or right and then you need to pull the battery door out.   
    If your computer is having an inbuilt battery follow these steps.

Power Drain test.

1.  Turn off the laptop.  Unplug all the cables and devices including power cable. 
    Flip the laptop.  On the back of the laptop there will be a tiny hole.  It is called a battery reset hole.  There will be a battery symbol right next to the hole.
    2. You need to insert a paper clip or small pin gently inside the hole and hold it for 30 seconds.  
    3. Plug all the cables back and turn on the computer.

Step 2

Bios Defaults.

1. Turn on the computer and keep on tapping f2.  It will go to bios setup utility
    2. Press f9 once on the bios setup screen.   It will show you bios defaults.  Please press yes.
    3. Press f10 on the bios setup screen.  It will show you "yes" to save the changes.  Please press yes.
    Computer will automatically restart and it will load windows..

Please use the computer and check how the computer is working now..
    If you still face the issue...

Step 1:

Please try the steps below
    Run the System File Checker Tool
    Login to Windows 10.
    Click the Search button on the bottom left, and type command prompt.
    When you see the Command Prompt program listed, Right-click it, then click Run as administrator. ...
    When the command prompt box comes up type the following then click Enter: sfc /scannow.

Please wait till it gets completed..
    Restart the computer and start using the computer.

If you still face the issue and since you tried all the basic steps earlier..

Step 2

click on Start
    Navigate to Settings. ...
    Select "Update & security"
    Click Recovery in the left pane.
    Please click on Reset this PC,

It will show you two options
    "Keep my files " and "remove everything"
    You can first try "keep my files".   Please remember that there will be a application loss if you try this option
    If you try to use "remove everything" option then it wipe out everything on your computer and it will make your computer like a new computer. 
    Once the recovery process is completed your computer will work properly.

If the above steps are helpful for you please click "like"
    If the above steps resolves your issue please click "yes"

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019 Answer ✓
    makthefirst

Hi,

Since you have tried most of the step on your own, I recommend you to try reset this pc by choosing "keep my files" option.   It will remove only the applications.    All the files will be intact. 

BSOD can be caused by both software and hardware. If the root cause is the first one, you just have to apply some tweaks. Otherwise, you may need to reformat the system.  Sometimes it might also be an update issue. 

Sometimes, your device’s external devices can be the cause of blues screen stop errors. Unplug any external storage devices and drives, docks, and other hardware plugged into your device that isn’t needed for basic functionality, and then restart your device.

1.  Turn off the computer.   Remove all the cables and devices including power cable
    2.  Turn the laptop upside down.  Flip the laptop.  On the back of laptop there will be a unlock switch.  You need to move the switch to the left or right and then you need to pull the battery door out.   

Power Drain test.

Flip the laptop.  On the back of the laptop there will be a tiny hole.  It is called a battery reset hole.  There will be a battery symbol right next to the hole.
    2. You need to insert a paper clip or small pin gently inside the hole and hold it for 30 seconds.  

Step 2

Bios Defaults.

1. Turn on the computer and keep on tapping f2.  It will go to bios setup utility
    2. Press f9 once on the bios setup screen.   It will show you bios defaults.  Please press yes.
    3. Press f10 on the bios setup screen.  It will show you "yes" to save the changes.  Please press yes.

Step 1:

Login to Windows 10.
    When you see the Command Prompt program listed, Right-click it, then click Run as administrator. ...
    When the command prompt box comes up type the following then click Enter: sfc /scannow.

Step 2

click on Start

You can first try "keep my files".   Please remember that there will be a application loss if you try this option
    If you try to use "remove everything" option then it wipe out everything on your computer and it will make your computer like a new computer. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• makthefirst

Tinkerer

mohan2018 said:
    makthefirst

Hi,

Power Drain test.

Step 2

Bios Defaults.

Step 1:

Login to Windows 10.

Step 2

click on Start

Thank you for your help!

I will absolutely try the Power Drain method that you provided and if it fails I will completly reformat the machine (Which is something I'm trying to avoid).  It will take a lot of time (Months) to test if these methods work because the crashes are inconsistent and far between.

I will post the results back here if an update fixes the problem or any of the methods above.
  • makthefirst

Tinkerer

mohan2018 said:
    makthefirst

Hi,

Power Drain test.

Step 2

Bios Defaults.

Step 1:

Login to Windows 10.

Step 2

click on Start

Thank you for your help!

I will absolutely try the Power Drain method that you provided and if it fails I will completly reformat the machine (Which is something I'm trying to avoid).  It will take a lot of time (Months) to test if these methods work because the crashes are inconsistent and far between.

I will post the results back here if an update fixes the problem or any of the methods above.
    Hi guys!

I want to make a quick update. I completely reformatted my laptop and reinstalled a fresh copy of windows 10. I reinstalled the drivers using Acer Drivers website and the problem is completly gone. My laptop is 100% stable all the time. Thank you mohan2018 for the solution and have a nice day.