Aspire xc-605 won't boot Auto Recovery partiton or from Microsoft Win10 media

Options
JohnDownard
JohnDownard Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Windows10 became unresponsive during the last Patch Tuesday update from Microsoft.  I had no choice but to power off.  After this on boot it suggested it was attempting an Auto Recovery but it didn't complete. Now on boot the HDD light is on but there is no usual boot activity on the drive.  I have disable Secure Boot and changed the boot order to favour DVD then USB but the PC will not boot from genuine Microsoft Win10 media or downloaded USB image.  Oddly it will boot a DVD Linux distro?  What am I missing?

Answers

• JohnDownard
    Options
    I posted this in the wrong category but helpfully an Admin has corrected that ;-)
    Anyone got any guidance please?
    Also when I look at the HDD with Linux GParted I can see various partitons n addition to my 'C: Acer' and 'D: Data', what should a Win10 look like in terms of recovery partitions - names, positions, sizes?
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @JohnDownard

The XC-605 and the TC-605 use the same mainboard, so for all practical purposes, they are pretty much the same.  So all of the tips and tricks I wrote in link below would also apply to your XC-605.

For example, I explained (gave a link) on how to properly create a bootable Windows 10 USB media for UEFI.  :)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/573830/trouble-booting-up-aspire-atc-605-ur1a-with-windows-7/p1

It also explains how to retrieve your important personal files (for the most part).

To get to a command prompt, you just press the Shift+F10 right after you boot the Windows 10 USB
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JohnDownard
    Options
    Thanks Jordan, the info you provided was useful and I have managed to build and boot from a Win10 USB ISO but it is very slow.  I am going to the F12 boot menu and selecting USB. The LED on the USB flashes and boot up starts (Win10 logo) but then the HDD light comes on and stays on.  It got me to the repair options and I attempted to AutoRepair with the message 'checking disc may take an hour', I left it like this overnight and all the following day!  It was no better at the end of the process.  I have started again an eventually got to the reinstall which I decided to attempt, it has been sitting at the Setup Is Starting blue screen with HourGlass mouse pointer for an hour with the HDD light on constantly.  I am concluding the HDD is broken?
  • JordanB
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @JohnDownard

I'm not sure if your HDD is broken, but I wouldn't trust it.....based on what you've described.  I would go ahead and replace it.

After you replace the HDD, you can put your old HDD in to a USB HDD external enclosure and run some more tests.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5-inches-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01MZC303G
  • JohnDownard
    Options
    @JordanB
    I came to the same conclusion and have fitted a new HDD and done a fresh Win10 install.
  • JordanB
    Options
    Ok great.  I assume it's working fine now.