battery, camera, RAM ( Acer ES1-131 )

gabba
gabba Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey everyone,
Acer ES1-131 - brand new. 
Bare-bones version - supposedly had a very rudimentary LINUX OS installed, but I couldn't get it to fire up.  No prob - I'm a complete Mint guy.  After a few snags, not too hard to figure out, Mint Mate 19.3 is running great and fully updated. 
On the other hand, there are a couple of things not happening.  1st, the OS doesn't see the camera.  Mic works fine, as does everything else I've tested including wifi and bluetooth.
I checked on the Acer site, and...  nada.   The make a sell a LINUX version of their computer, but don't offer any drivers or help for anything other than Win.  (Not to flame, but I still can't figure out why anyone is still stuck with that wet dog)
I can live without it, but any suggestions about the camera would be appreciated."

Now for the battery:   The OS recognizes it and reports it is charging, but it isn't.  I have the battery icon in the tree, but it doesn't budge off of 0%, and unplugging the power supply and the computer goes OFF immediately. 
So I'm not sure if this is a battery or charger issue. 
Again, the laptop is less than 24 hours old yet. 

PS:  If anyone needs help installing their linux OS, I can share what worked for me.  Only, don't ask how to dual-boot with Win.  I wouldn't have any idea, nor care to know.  Sorry. 

Best Answer

• gabba
    Answer ✓
    OK, problem solved. 
    Turns out, even though I bought the unit new, in its sealed box, it had been sitting in the back for a while.  The BIOS was critically out of date.
    Updating the BIOS took care of the problem with no hardware service needed at all. 
    Battery is now charging (fully charged) and everything is working fine. 
    Running Linux Mint 19.3 like a Boss!    (Still a little slow if I have a few things open.  So the next step is to bump the RAM up from 2GB to 8GB.

Answers

• gabba
    One more symptom of the battery issue;  next to the blue power light there is a flashing red light.  It continually flashes ONCE whether the computer is on, or off, but plugged in through the adapter.
  • gabba
    Answer ✓
    OK, problem solved. 
    Turns out, even though I bought the unit new, in its sealed box, it had been sitting in the back for a while.  The BIOS was critically out of date.
    Updating the BIOS took care of the problem with no hardware service needed at all. 
    Battery is now charging (fully charged) and everything is working fine. 
    Running Linux Mint 19.3 like a Boss!    (Still a little slow if I have a few things open.  So the next step is to bump the RAM up from 2GB to 8GB.