How to run "Acer Predator 17 G9-791" from a new SSD with win10 added in an empty slot.

Options
chiyoda
chiyoda Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
  Hello, I'm new to this Acer community.
  I purchased "Acer Predator 17 G9-791" on June, 2016 (SNID: NXQ03AA001XXXXXXXXXXXX).
  The capacity of the "current SSD" (Lite-On IT 128GB SSD Solid State Drive LCS-128L9S) is only a little (less than 20GB). So I want to add a "new SSD" worth 500GB to one of the two SSD slots that is empty.
  Would you please check the following points?
  I haven't touched the physical part of my PC other than adding 16GB of RAM into a free slot a few weeks ago and making my current memory 32GB RAM.

* First "existing SSD slot" (tentative name #A); There seems to be an "existing SSD" (Lite-On IT 128GB SSD Solid State Drive LCS-128L9S) in slot #A far from the motherboard (upper side when the bottom of the PC is up: "M.2 SATA" type). Is that right?

* Second "new SSD slot" (tentative name #B); Is it possible to add a "new SSD" in slot #B near the motherboard (below the existing SSD above: "M.2 22110 PCIe NVMe" type)?

* Example of "new SSD" that works in slot #B (M.2 22110 PCIe NVMe) above; will any of the three below work without problems? Does the 22mm long SSD connect to the 28mm long slot #B and work properly?

- "Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT500P1SSD8" CDN$ 88.70 
  Size "2280" (Item dimensions; 80 x 2 x 22 mm).
- "Crucial P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT500P1SSD8"CDN$ 88.70 
  Size "2280" (Item dimensions; 22 x 80 x 2 mm).
- "Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7S500/AM) [Canada Version]"CDN$ 144.99
  Size "2280" (Item dimensions; 22 x 23 x 80 mm). Is the height 23mm OK when installed?

* Check the procedure for operating "New SSD";
  The "Current SSD" in slot #A contains Win10 and existing programs. 
  I want to create a clone that targets the "new SSD" to be installed in slot #B from this "current SSD", and then run the PC from the Win10 in this "new SSD".

1) After turning off the power and removing the battery, I'll remove the "current SSD" by unscrewing the slot #A at the bottom of the PC.

2) After confirming that slot #B is empty and has a mounting screw, and installing a "new SSD" in slot #B, I'll put "current SSD" back in slot #A, and put the lid and battery on the bottom of the PC back.

3) After turning on the power, I'll format the "new SSD" in the disk drive selection on the device manager screen of win10 so that the PC can recognize it.

4) After creating a clone targeting "New SSD" from "current SSD", I'll allow the PC to boot from "New SSD" in BIOS settings. I'm going to use "EaseUS Partition Master Free" for cloning.

5) After confirming that the PC works with win10 in the "new SSD" and that the existing program works normally, I'll format the "current SSD" and continue to use it for additional data storage.

During the above 1) - 5), I won't touch the "current HDD 1TB" (HGDT HTS721010A9E630 1000GB 2.5inch 5400rpm 9.5mm HDD) for large amounts of data, is that correct?

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]