Why does my new SSD not showing up on my Acer nitro 5 an515-53 laptop?

Options
2»

Answers

• Steevee
    Steevee Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options
    falusi said:
    Hi!

I just bought an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54. It came with a 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD, but the system recognize the SSD at all. It doesn't even show up in the BIOS information menu (BIOS version v1.09).

I was checking on different forums, but there seemed to be only thread where they managed to find a solution, but included removing the SSD physically so I didn't want to try that as I would my guarantee then.

Is there anything I could try to make it work?

Thanks
    @falusi
    I'm facing the same problem. 
    Hi, have you solve your problem?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Options

Firstly have you got the latest Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 bios v1.28, make sure that you have. What are you using the new Samsung EVO 860 SSD for? Your BIOS may be set to RAID, which is pointless (whoever set it, was it how you got it?) as you aren't actually using RAID unless you have multiple drives. The A in RAID stands for Array, which is not possible with a single drive. There's no increased bandwidth to be had with a single drive. 

Remember what RAID is, its short for “redundant array of independent disks” RAID is an assortment of HDD's connected and set up in ways to help protect or speed up the performance of a computer's disk storage. RAID is commonly used on servers and high performance computers. The types of RAID re: RAID Mirroring, Duplexing, Deferred, Hot swapping, Hot sparing and Spindle synchronization with versions of RAID 0 to 6 with RAID 10 and 53.

You cant have RAID with just one drive you have to have two. What your bios is showing is that:

1. HDD 0 is the Micron_100_MTFDDAV256TBN which is an M.2 2280 256 GB-SATA 6Gb/s SSD and is your OEM and boot drive.

2. HDD 1 is the Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB. 

Change the SATA Mode from RAID to AHCI Mode through bios (see manual of how to do this) then the 2.5 inch Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB will be recognised. 

• ZekUp
    ZekUp Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I got the Acer Nitro 5 and I just added a 860 evo 1TB SSD Internal for the extra slot in my laptop. I did everything right installing it into the slot, but it’s not reading in my BIOS and my pc storage system. What went wrong with it?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,555 Trailblazer
    Options

Does it show up in the BIOS Information tab? If yes, then press WIN+R and enter 'diskmgmt.msc' to initialize it and assign a drive letter. If no, then it's either not getting power or not properly seated in the socket. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• samsonfrancis
    samsonfrancis Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

This is my own personal experience. Not an expert advice. I shall bear no responsibility of the outcome. Try with your own risk. I have 250gb ssd already machine. Im adding additional 1TB.

1. I noticed that the ssd was not inserted fully. Pushed it a little harder until the tiny ridge touches with ssd socket

2. Now ssd appeared in BIOS, but not on diskpart. But info shows HDD01 in bios

3. Changed SATA mode to ACHI from the REP Octane. This broke my existing boot. Nothing was displayed in BIOS now.

4. Entered bios again using F2 key on boot. Changed SATA mode back to ACHI. Windows turned on with automatic repair and restart. Now I see the disk online in diskpart(command prompt)

5. Went ahead and partitioned disk from disk management

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @samsonfrancisI advise enabling safeboot before changing sata mode.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • SteffanB
    SteffanB Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Make sure the SSD is connected well. Go to Device Manager. If it is not there, run a Memory Diagnosis. Then go to Device Manager and you should see it. Go to Disk Management and you will see the disk but not allocated. Click it and select New Volume, and follow the instructions (mostly just Next). Voila.

This discussion has been closed.