Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54 Am I stuck gaming at low temps with insanely unnecessary fan speed

Options
Ren89
Ren89 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 2023 in Nitro Gaming
So I'm not much of a laptop gamer before buying this laptop. First thing I did when I got the machine is a repaste, -160 undervolt to the CPU and added some heatpipes. It's WAAAY cooler than before now, with heavy gaming staying in the low 60's and light gaming barely breaking 50. I assumed this would drop the fan speed considerably... It's done nothing though... 

Even in the low 50's the fans ramp up to 4000rpm, the same speed as it was before I did everything when gaming would see me hit the 80's... I've tried messing with Nitrosense, using other software, and nothing will effectively change the fan speed... Including the manual option it Nitrosense... Which changed absolutely nothing... And there's no fan curve options or anything... 

Am I stuck gaming at really low temps with these insanely unnecessary fan speeds? I'm amazed it auto's to like 80% fan speed on a game from 2008 with 50 degrees on the cpu... It's a joke... 

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• meshswapnil
    meshswapnil Member Posts: 39 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Ren89 said:
    So I'm not much of a laptop gamer before buying this laptop. First thing I did when I got the machine is a repaste, -160 undervolt to the CPU and added some heatpipes. It's WAAAY cooler than before now, with heavy gaming staying in the low 60's and light gaming barely breaking 50. I assumed this would drop the fan speed considerably... It's done nothing though... 

Even in the low 50's the fans ramp up to 4000rpm, the same speed as it was before I did everything when gaming would see me hit the 80's... I've tried messing with Nitrosense, using other software, and nothing will effectively change the fan speed... Including the manual option it Nitrosense... Which changed absolutely nothing... And there's no fan curve options or anything... 

Am I stuck gaming at really low temps with these insanely unnecessary fan speeds? I'm amazed it auto's to like 80% fan speed on a game from 2008 with 50 degrees on the cpu... It's a joke... 

what nitro model do you have ?
    added some heatpipes ,how did u do that?
    did you try reinstalling the nitrosense software ? sometimes the nitrosense acts weird !! 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Ren89 said:

Uninstall Nitrosense then game using 3rd party software to monitor fan speed. If your fan speed is still at 4000 rpm you have a faulty heat sensor, If the fan speed is normal, around 2800 at 50 deg, then reinstall Nitrosense and check again.
    If I have answered your question please click YES

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Ren89
    Ren89 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Model is AN515-54. I've tried uninstalling nitrosense and using other software, still didn't seem to work at any fan curve/speeds I set. A fresh re-install after the fact and manual speed settings in nitrosense don't seem to work still either. I should state, manual works in nitrosense at idle... Until I get in a game and temps rise a little, then it seems to ignore any manual settings completely. 

The reported temps seem pretty accurate, so can this really be a faulty heat sensor issue? Maybe I should try removing Nitrosense once more and playing around with it, but is it really nitrosense that's controlling fan speed, or some kind of hardware/bios fan curve I have zero control over no matter what I do? 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Then I don't think it's the temperature sensor and I don't think it's Nitrosense. I think it is something to do with the fan software thinking the CPU/GPU is hotter than it actually is but for the life of me I don't know what controls that, sorry that I can't be more help

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• surendra_1
    surendra_1 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Ren89 said:

I have the same issue with my laptop. Did you manage to get fix this issue?
  • f313superpower
    f313superpower Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
  • Xcartia
    Xcartia Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Ren89 said:

How did you add heat pipes and which thermal paste did you used???
  • karmandroid
    karmandroid Member Posts: 23 Networker
    Options
    Ren89 said:

Wait, which Nitro model do you have? and most importantly how did you manage to install heatpipes inside a laptop!?

Anyhow, have you checked the NitroSense app? 
  • Flummox
    Flummox Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Ren89 said:
    Model is AN515-54. I've tried uninstalling nitrosense and using other software, still didn't seem to work at any fan curve/speeds I set. A fresh re-install after the fact and manual speed settings in nitrosense don't seem to work still either. I should state, manual works in nitrosense at idle... Until I get in a game and temps rise a little, then it seems to ignore any manual settings completely. 

The reported temps seem pretty accurate, so can this really be a faulty heat sensor issue? Maybe I should try removing Nitrosense once more and playing around with it, but is it really nitrosense that's controlling fan speed, or some kind of hardware/bios fan curve I have zero control over no matter what I do? 
    I have the exact same model and the same problem 
    Right now my fans are on manual on the lowest setting and It's running on 6000 RPM
    And It's really cool and I'm using a cooler
  • JhinBR
    JhinBR Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm having a similar issue, my laptop acts fine during regular use, but when I game, the automatic setting on Nitro Sense doesn't go above 4000RPM for the CPU, I have to manually set it higher so the laptop doesn't overheat. Already updated Nitrosense and have Bios 1.32, not sure what else to do.
  • cypherpunk
    cypherpunk Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

After hours of searching and testing.. this is the only app I found that gave me some control.
    My model is AN515-43.Notebook Fan Control:
    https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases
    Nitro config file: https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/files/6144157/Acer.Nitro.5.Nv.zip

I set my target fan speed to about 34%. It does ramp up automatically when it gets hotter. Sometimes I'll switch between read-only mode and enabled when fans are unnecessarily noisy.

• MAhmadAliShykh
    MAhmadAliShykh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hey @Ren89 can you answer this question? Temps on my Acer Nitro 5 are above 90 degrees at 100% CPU utilization and the fans do not even speed up.