A part of laptop gets heated even when Laptop is switched off?AN515-42?

AnandSpark
AnandSpark Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Model-Acer nitro-5  AN515-42
Cpu- AMD Ryzen 5 2500u
Ram- 8GB
Gpu- RX 560x
A part of my laptop gets heated even when the laptop is switched off.The bigger problem is that the battery gets drained.In around 6 hours battery goes from 100% to 60 %.I have been experiencing this problem since 2 days.

I opened the laptop and  found out that this green part  above was hot.The part just below where AMD is written was so hot that i could hardly touch it for a second.Still both the usb ports are working fine.
Above picture shows the heated part.
I did add a M.2 kingston a400 SSD two months ago but I do not think that this is causing any kind of problem.I did void my warranty  when I was adding ssd.Please help me.I request you for any possible solutions.

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Coqui13 said:
    AnandSpark i will suggest you contacting the Acer support channels or a trusted experience technician local to check your unit for your safety. Did your unit had a VOID Warranty sticker when you opened?
    Thanks for answering .I Don't think so there was a void warranty sticker.I even discovered that each time I shut down the laptop if i press "SWG2" button on the motherboard  the part does not gets hot and battery does not drain but still it is a headache to press the button everytime after shutdown.

Any unusual heating of the laptop MUST be investigated by a professional or damage may occur. If there was no warranty void sticker then you are still under warranty, contact Acer support for your region
    If I have answered your question please click YES

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    AnandSpark i will suggest you contacting the Acer support channels or a trusted experience technician local to check your unit for your safety. Did your unit had a VOID Warranty sticker when you opened?

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• AnandSpark

Tinkerer

Coqui13 said:
    Thanks for answering .I Don't think so there was a void warranty sticker.I even discovered that each time I shut down the laptop if i press "SWG2" button on the motherboard  the part does not gets hot and battery does not drain but still it is a headache to press the button everytime after shutdown.
  • andylb
    Answer ✓
    Coqui13 said:

Any unusual heating of the laptop MUST be investigated by a professional or damage may occur. If there was no warranty void sticker then you are still under warranty, contact Acer support for your region

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    If i were you i will just contact Acer support and tell them about the issue and nothing else and have it sent for repair (if it didn't had a VOID Warranty Sticker then you should be able to send the unit for repair as long as you send it like factory settings), so reset the PC to factory settings with Alt+F10 and just leave it as is (remove any upgrades you have done like RAM or SDD etc.) *** Remember to backup IMP info 1st before doing all this****

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• AnandSpark

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    Coqui13 said:

What precautions should i take before buying a laptop in future?This laptop didn't even work one year without any defect?Should I stay away from AMD based  Laptop or should I consider a different brand than Acer?In my country a laptop of same configuration of HP or Dell sells for approximately 150 US dollar more?
  • andylb
    Nothing wrong with AMD in fact I deal with far more Intel/Nvidia problems on this forum

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★