Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 - HDD is not visible in Disk part, disk management and device manager

HDhiman
HDhiman Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Recently I have bought, Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 with 256SSD and 1 Tb HDD. My windows 10 was pre-installed on SDD.
From the very first boot, my HDD is not visible. 
Intel Rapid Technology shows the HDD and SDD and says that everything is working fine with a green tick.
HDD is not visible in disk management, device manager and not even in Disk Part .
It is visible at the bios.

I have updated the windows and Drivers also, but nothing seems to be working.
I have also tried many solutions available on this site.

kindly help.

thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• HDhiman
    Answer ✓
    Hi All,

My Problem is solved but with a different approach.
    Re-install the Windows 10 

1. Create an ISO Image using Windows media creation tools and make a bootable USB using the Image.
    2. Note: Back up your all data in an external hard drive or Pendrive (software - data - everything)
    3. In my case I did not change the SATA to AHCI - it is still in RST-Optane Mode. 
    4. In the boot menu select the USB . (if USB is not recognized in boot menu then make partition scheme - GPT using RUFUS booting tool).
    5. Boot into Pendrive, windows Installation will appear, and now on the very first step before starting to install the windows, press windows+f10
        Type --> Diskpart
         List Disk
         Select disk 0
         clean
         select disk 1
         clean

This will clean your SSD as well as HDD, Note: All data will be wiped (windows also)
    6. Now start installing the windows.
    7. while selecting the destination to install the windows, check if, the drive is allocated or not, if it's not then allocate it. 
    8. windows will install and you will find your SSD and HDD in disk management.

Worked for me :)
    Backup everything , before doing anything.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    edited September 2019
    Hi,
    I think you are using RAID, do you need RAID for any reason or the laptop came with the RAID?
    You have to backup your OS and original settings to an external HDD using Macrium Reflect free program, create a bootable USB disk with the same program. These are precautions in case anything goes wrong you can recover the original setup.
    Then you can go to BIOS, move to Main tab, click SATA mode which may be in " RST with Optane" in your laptop, click and switch to AHCI, reboot and see whether it boots without any issue, if you have problems booting, then you have to use the backup to recover the image on to the M.2 SSD.
    I have provided the link for Macrium tutorials for backing up, creating a USB recovery Disk and restoring the image, please familiarize with the procedure before attempting to make any changes to BIOS.
    If you have any doubts, please let us know.
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/
    https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-macrium-reflect-bootable-rescue-cdusb/

• HDhiman
    Hi,
    I think you are using RAID, do you need for RAID for any reason or the laptop came with the RAID?
    I changed nothing, and I don't need RAID. 
    it was already configured in RAID 
  • I have edited my post, please read the procedure and let us know.
  • HDhiman
    I have edited my post, please read the procedure and let us know.
    Thanks Much,
    Can you please share the link.
  • HDhiman
    Thanks for the help.
     I will try the above solution and will let you know in case of any issues.
  • HDhiman
    Earlier I have tried SATA mode as ACHI and it boots normally, but then Intel rapid UI does not show any Hard drive and SSD.
  • When you switch to AHCI mode, there's no need for IRST UI, could you please post the snip of the Disk Management after switching to AHCI.
  • HDhiman said:
    I have edited my post, please read the procedure and let us know.
    Thanks Much,
    Can you please share the link.
    Read the post I have posted earlier.
  • Just to complement the topic, it would be interesting that you enable safe boot in msconfig before making the change suggested by my friend brummyfan2.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Xtees
    Xtees Member Posts: 1 New User
    did this work? i am also facing the same problem. lot of reviews recently on amazon about the same problem
  • HDhiman
    edited October 2019
    Sharing Screen Shots after AHCI Mode.

[Edited by moderator]
  • HDhiman
    Hi,
    I think you are using RAID, do you need RAID for any reason or the laptop came with the RAID?
    You have to backup your OS and original settings to an external HDD using Macrium Reflect free program, create a bootable USB disk with the same program. These are precautions in case anything goes wrong you can recover the original setup.
    Then you can go to BIOS, move to Main tab, click SATA mode which may be in " RST with Optane" in your laptop, click and switch to AHCI, reboot and see whether it boots without any issue, if you have problems booting, then you have to use the backup to recover the image on to the M.2 SSD.
    I have provided the link for Macrium tutorials for backing up, creating a USB recovery Disk and restoring the image, please familiarize with the procedure before attempting to make any changes to BIOS.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/
    https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-macrium-reflect-bootable-rescue-cdusb/

Hi ,
    I have shared the screen shots kindly have a look and help me out. 
    Thanks in advance .
  • brummyfan2
    HDhiman said:
    Hi,

Hi ,
    Thanks in advance .
    Hi,
    Have you installed Macrium reflect, create a bootable USB disk and backed up the HDD contents? or do you still have the OS in HDD?
  • HDhiman
    HDhiman said:
    Hi,

Hi ,
    Thanks in advance .
    Hi,
    Have you installed Macrium reflect, create a bootable USB disk and backed up the HDD contents? or do you still have the OS in HDD?
    Yes , I have created a bootable USB Disk also.
  • brummyfan2
    OK if you already backed up the HDD on to an external HDD, the follow the tutorials I have posted.
    1. Install the SSD only, insert the USB disk.
    2. Go to BIOS and change the boot order to make the USB as your first boot device.
    3. Connect the external HDD(where the back up is) with the USB SATA cable.
    4. recover the image on to the SSD with Macrium reflect.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    Is sata mode really in ahci? There is something wrong here:

[Edited SN picture by moderator]
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • HDhiman
    Answer ✓
    Hi All,

My Problem is solved but with a different approach.
    Re-install the Windows 10 

1. Create an ISO Image using Windows media creation tools and make a bootable USB using the Image.
    2. Note: Back up your all data in an external hard drive or Pendrive (software - data - everything)
    3. In my case I did not change the SATA to AHCI - it is still in RST-Optane Mode. 
    4. In the boot menu select the USB . (if USB is not recognized in boot menu then make partition scheme - GPT using RUFUS booting tool).
    5. Boot into Pendrive, windows Installation will appear, and now on the very first step before starting to install the windows, press windows+f10
        Type --> Diskpart
         List Disk
         Select disk 0
         clean
         select disk 1
         clean

This will clean your SSD as well as HDD, Note: All data will be wiped (windows also)
    6. Now start installing the windows.
    7. while selecting the destination to install the windows, check if, the drive is allocated or not, if it's not then allocate it. 
    8. windows will install and you will find your SSD and HDD in disk management.

Worked for me :)
    Backup everything , before doing anything.

This discussion has been closed.