Acer nitro 5 an515-51 temperature issues

Noosqui
Noosqui Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
As of lately, i've been having really high temperatures on my laptop, going from 50 to 60c while idle and 80 to 96c while gaming. i know that's nowhere near optimal temperatures so i've been worried about my laptop's overall life.
I have already tried changing thermal paste (as that seems what solves most of the problems with temperatures on the laptop) but that didn't solve it. I'm really desperate since i dont want this pc to last just a couple of months. Thanks in advance!

Pc model: acer nitro 5 an515-51

Best Answer

• Noosqui
    Answer ✓
    Already solved the problem. A good ol' vent cleaning was all I needed (idk how it didn't even ocurred to me to try that) now my temps are reaching an avrg of 70c-80c with 60c min and 92c spikes here and there. Thanks for trying to help and i hope this helps anyone

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,733 Pathfinder
    @Noosqui
    The temp which you have on your laptop is normal for gaming laptop because Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • ZynFaith
    ZynFaith Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Try to undervolt your CPU and GPU.
    For GPU undervolting, use MSI Afterburner and press ctrl+f to see curve frequency/voltages. You can change values to lower voltages per frequency. Also i strongly recommend you check the video in youtube (like that https://youtu.be/qeQUs4Wtyfs)
    For CPU, i not sure intel XTU work with i5-7300hq, but you can check that. If it works you may lower voltage offset from -100 to -150 mV, after run a any cpu benchmark to check that laptop can work with it. If it not, you can use ThrottleStop, but it can't work,too. And i recommend you watch video on youtube or read post on the website.

• Mainerunr
    Mainerunr Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited October 2019
    Jack22 said:
    @Noosqui
    The temp which you have on your laptop is normal for gaming laptop because Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

I disagree with this.  They are not engineered to withstand higher temperatures.  The CPU temperature limit is the same as on any other laptop with the same CPU.  The temperature limit is around 100C (some cpus may be 110C), anything within 10C of the limit is too close.  Yes, there are safeties to protect the hardware but lets face it, you're in the middle of a game, about to beat the big boss and your laptop shuts down on safety...great.  For some people, the CPU will be safe but the rest of the laptop may not survive (I'm not that guy but some are).

Better engineering would prevent excessive temperatures in the first place.  That said, for a budget gaming rig, there isn't a whole lot of time to engineer a better cooling system (time is money), nor is there budget to implement a more expensive system while still meeting that budget price point.

I agree with ZynFaith, look into undervolting.  I'm running my Nitro 7 at -0.125V, it dropped the temperatures 5-7C while gaming and 3-4C while encoding with Handbrake (while also allowing all 6 cores to operate at 3.3GHz while staying below the 45W threshhold...before undervolting they were capping at 3.0GHz).  I started with Intel XTU but ended up running Throttlestop.  Check out the Predator forum, one of the guys in there has some good youtube videos on optimizing windows to reduce OS resource demand and also undervolting.
  • Noosqui
    Jack22 said:
    @Noosqui

that my good man is nowhere near true. Temps reaching over 90 aren't safe for any pc component being it from a "gaming" pc/laptop or not
  • Noosqui
    Answer ✓
    Already solved the problem. A good ol' vent cleaning was all I needed (idk how it didn't even ocurred to me to try that) now my temps are reaching an avrg of 70c-80c with 60c min and 92c spikes here and there. Thanks for trying to help and i hope this helps anyone