Aspire 5 515-54 V.12 BIOS missing SATA controller

maximus009
maximus009 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
So i updated to the newest BIOS released for Acer Aspire 515-54 (i have a core i3 variant btw) on 09/24/2019 and the new BIOS version was V.12 but unlike V.11 when i go into BIOS-->Main to change SATA controller from RAID to AHCI (because i have a samsung evo ssd that does not support RAID) the option to change the SATA controller is no longer present in the BIOS menu. Is this is a known bug or is it gone for good?

Answers

• gops75
    gops75 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Maximus: Were you able to figure out the issue? I also updated the BIOS in my laptop. Before updating, I had SATA option in my BIOS main menu. After BIOS update, its gone. Please help.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Was your factory set up originally as a RAIDed HDD or SSD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• atolan
    atolan Member Posts: 3 New User
    When you are in Main section of BIOS V.12, just press Ctrl+S and that SATA controller should reappear.
  • gops75
    gops75 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

@atolan Thanks so much. I got the SATA option back in main menu. But as soon as I save the BIOS settings and quit, it got into the blue screen -- Problem with the system. Trying to restart. I guess, its because, I had previously set the Ubuntu as first boot option. I will check into this. Anyways, I had recovery disk which is helpful (previously also I tried recovery disk once, but the BIOS options stayed. Thanks to you, I was able to change the BIOS settings. I will try recovery if nothing helps.)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Was your factory set up originally as a RAIDed HDD or SSD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• doxsee
    doxsee Member Posts: 1 New User
    @atolan Thank you! At first I admit did jump to conclusions by thinking Acer removed this option. I was looking for an alternative solution to this problem for two days before getting the knowledge I needed "straight from the horses mouth". I have successfully installed Fedora 31 on it with 512GB Sabrent NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD, and 8GB Kingston HX424S14IB/16 as an upgrade, to make this a sub $500 Linux Laptop.