Screen bleeding/Box-like Glow around the screen on 2019 Predator Helios 300

Options
Reznorio
Reznorio Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Does anyone know what is this glow all over my screen? It seems that the colors and brightness are correct outside this "box-like" thing. I've had this laptop for about 2 weeks with very little use. Apparently the issue disappears over time, but I don't know if this will keep happening.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried updating the drivers to check if the problem remains?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Reznorio

Tinkerer

Options
    If by drivers you mean the latest Nvidia Geforce drivers, then yes, i'm using the 436.30 which are the latest. Maybe you're talking about BIOS updates? This seems more like a hardware issue with the IPS panel instead of a software problem.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the model of your notebook? example an515-51-75kz. Have you tried updating the drivers on the intel website?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Reznorio

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    Options
    Model number is PH315-52-78VL (Predator PH315-52). A couple of hours ago I closed the lid, the laptop went to sleep, then I just opened it up and it looks worse. I attached new pictures. And what drivers are you referring to?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does this model come only with the nvidia card? Can you verify this information in device manager? Also, can you still exchange the notebook with the vendor or seller?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Reznorio

Tinkerer

Options
    Does this model come only with the nvidia card? Can you verify this information in device manager? Also, can you still exchange the notebook with the vendor or seller?
    This comes with an integrated Intel UHD graphics 630 GPU and also a dedicated Nvidia GTX 1160 Ti GPU. I just updated the Intel VGA drivers and nothing changes. The weird thing is that the strange box-like artifact starts to disappear after a while, but every time the laptop wakes up from sleep this keeps happening. This all start happening today and the laptop has less than 2 weeks of use.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    When you disable fast startup and turn off the notebook completely, does the problem remain? Do these artifacts remain in uefi bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Reznorio

Tinkerer

Options
    When you disable fast startup and turn off the notebook completely, does the problem remain? Do these artifacts remain in uefi bios?
    I tried disabling the "fast startup" and the same thing happens, the artifacts remains even in the boot sequence/bios where the predator logo appears just before loading windows. Although the artifact box-like thing fades over time, I suspect this will keep happening every time I boot up the laptop. Does this has anything to do with the fact that i always leave a mini display port cable connected even after i put the laptop to sleep?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I still think the monitor is in trouble. Wouldn't it be better to change the notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Reznorio try the suggestions i had suggested to you on the Predator fb group first (i see you tried some already) then if nothing works get it replaced if you not happy with it its probably the display itself as @egydiocoelho mentioned as i said the ips displays all have bleeding issues some more than others you might have one of the ones that have more

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Reznorio

Tinkerer

Options
    I think I may have found the issue now. It's the display port cable + sleep mode combination. Every time I put the laptop to sleep with the display port cable plugged in and then wake it up after some time (usually some hours later) this happens. This is not the case with an HDMI cable that is left plugged in nor any other type of cable connected (like USB). Leaving nothing plugged in does not create any issue. Is this like a driver problem or something like that? What can I do to fix it since I prefer to use a display port because of the GSync option it gives me. The cable works correctly since it's brand new and the issue only happens from sleep to woke with the cable connected.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    From what I understand, this problem occurs when you plug an external monitor into the DP port, or am I wrong? If so, does the same problem occur when leaving only the external monitor displaying the windows image (second screen only)?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Reznorio

Tinkerer

edited September 2019
    Options
    From what I understand, this problem occurs when you plug an external monitor into the DP port, or am I wrong? If so, does the same problem occur when leaving only the external monitor displaying the windows image (second screen only)?
    Yes, it's all because of the display port cable. When I plug an external monitor via the mini display port it works fine, however the issue is leaving the external monitor connected via the mini DP port and putting the laptop to sleep and then after a couple of hours waking the laptop up; that's when the artifacts on the laptop's screen start happening. This does not happen if the same process is done with an HDMI cable plugged in. So whether it's a defective DP cable (even though it's brand new) or some kind or incompatibility with the dedicated GPU and the mini display port that is triggered after the laptop's sleep mode. It's super weird and confusing.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    This is really weird. Have you checked if the problem manifests itself when connecting another monitor to the DP port? What is the current monitor model?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JayEm
    JayEm Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Reznorio said:
    Yes, it's all because of the display port cable. When I plug an external monitor via the mini display port it works fine, however the issue is leaving the external monitor connected via the mini DP port and putting the laptop to sleep and then after a couple of hours waking the laptop up; that's when the artifacts on the laptop's screen start happening. This does not happen if the same process is done with an HDMI cable plugged in. So whether it's a defective DP cable (even though it's brand new) or some kind or incompatibility with the dedicated GPU and the mini display port that is triggered after the laptop's sleep mode. It's super weird and confusing.
    Reznorio did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the exact same issue
  • Reznorio

Tinkerer

Options
    JayEm said:
    Reznorio said:
    Reznorio did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the exact same issue
    Nope. I've looked up everywhere and I couldn't find any solutions at all. At end, the only thing I could think of was just leave the DP cable unplugged after putting the laptop to sleep since I didn't want to spend any more money buying another DP cable to try it out which will probably won't change or fix the problem.
    Either way, I don't think this hurts the laptop's screen since the artifact always fades out after while. Hope this helps.
  • JayEm
    Options
    I might try to call acer up later and see if they give me any info, seems like it would be a solvable problem. I'll let you know, thanks for the response!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I think you should check out this bios update:

Supports new LCD panel Data: 2019/10/21 Version: 1.08 Vendor: Acer Tamanho: 8.9 MB Download

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JayEm
    Options
    Is there any documentation about that BIOS update? What if I install it, it fails, and I brick my computer?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Adds support for new displays. It is the only information I have here. If the update fails, the only option is to use the recovery crisis.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer