Why can't I access file in google drive from file explorer?

Options
Thegodhand
Thegodhand Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2022 in Chromebooks
I recently purchased my Chromebook and am having a problem with google drive.  In file explorer I can view my local storage, and my drive.  When I open the drive I can view files stored within the initial screen, but I cannot view files located inside of any subfolders of the drive.  If open any subfolders it shows the message "Nothing to see here".

Also, I am unable to save files to the drive using the file explorer.  If I try to save a file from the internet to my drive, the file explorer will freeze for several seconds then give me an error that there is no space left in the drive (this is not true, I am using 3.3 of 15 gigs as of this post).

Something I just found out while writing this; if I move any files out of the initial drive screen into a subfolder using the web site, the files do not move location according to the file explorer version of drive.  This would seem to indicate that the file explorer is not syncing correctly with drive.

I viewed the drive using the chrome browser and confirmed that all files are present and can be opened normally.  As for saving them, I can do this the more round about way of saving the files to my download folder then dragging and dropping them into the google drive site. These two observations show me that my drive is working fine, and it is the chromebook file explorer that is having the issue. 

For trouble shooting so far I have confirmed that chrome OS is up to date, settings allowing for offline viewing of the drive are checked, and i have uninstalled and re-installed my chrome extensions for drive.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>>In file explorer I can view my local storage>>>it is the chromebook file explorer that is having the issue. >>>

You seem to be correct. Google apparently recognizes a syncing issue and will release an updated Files app for chromebooks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>>In file explorer I can view my local storage>>>it is the chromebook file explorer that is having the issue. >>>

You seem to be correct. Google apparently recognizes a syncing issue and will release an updated Files app for chromebooks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.