Predator 15 - G9-591-70XR System will keep rebooting after erasing SSD

Options
BlueSama
BlueSama Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have erased the SSD hard drive to install linux on it. after reboot I can not boot into BIOS setting and pressing F2 will keep rebooting the system.
Not pressing F2 will show this message:
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
I also can not boot my system using bootable USB. it will load a black screen with a blinking cursor.
And if I connect internet cable connection, on boot it will wait for input file over network and fail after some minutes.

Model: Predator 15 - G9-591-70XR

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Hello! Have you tried resetting the internal battery and then entering the bios?
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BlueSama

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes, I have tried and nothing changed.
    There is a guide here but its for another acer model. and when I download and extract bios firmware for my laptop, there is no .fd file.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I do not recommend downgrading the bios. Also, I don't think the problem is in the bios. Have you tried pressing the f2, del or fn + f2 keys?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BlueSama

Tinkerer

Options
    I am not trying to downgrade the bios. using the latest released firmware provided here for my laptop.
    And yes, I have tried all key combinations.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried connecting an external monitor and checking if the bios appears on the external monitor? Also, did you disconnect ssd and get in the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BlueSama

Tinkerer

Options
    I do not have an external monitor and opening the hardware would be my last option. I hope there are some firmware related methods.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Methods involving the .fd file are much riskier than removing ssd. You can also try removing hdd and checking if you can get access to the bios? Does this notebook have raid mode?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BlueSama

Tinkerer

Options
    I don't know what is raid mode and if this laptop has it or not. I am not a hardware guy so I really don't want to open it unless I find no other way.
    What are risks of using .fd files? the bios firmware is already broken, by using .fd file what else may happen worst than this?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I do not think the bios is broken, because if it was broken, the boot would not occur and you would not see this message: PXE-M0F: exiting PXE ROM.
    So, I rule out that it's a problem with uefi-bios. If you use the .fd file and the power outage occurs midway, you will damage the bios.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BlueSama

Tinkerer

Options
    Aha, I think you have a valid point here. so you suggest I open the laptop case and access to the actual BIOS and then what can I do with that?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I still think raid mode is active and removing hdd or ssd might break the raid. It is possible that you will lose your files and will not be liable for any damage. See this video:
    https://youtu.be/rgqjsJhqByc

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BlueSama

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok, I will try that tomorrow and will report the results.
    I need to open the case as shown in the video, remove HDD, then power on the notebook only with SSD and check if problem still exists. am I right?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Yes! You can do the reverse too, by removing ssd and leaving only hdd connected.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It would be interesting to let you know if there are any warranty seals or if there are any screws with a different color as well. Also, have you tried pressing f12 to check if hdd and ssd appear?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BlueSama

Tinkerer

Options
    It would be interesting to let you know if there are any warranty seals or if there are any screws with a different color as well. Also, have you tried pressing f12 to check if hdd and ssd appear?
    I don't see any warranty seals and cant see any different color screws.
    Pressing F12 will not do anything.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    But is your notebook still under warranty? What happens when you use a windows 10 iso on the USB stick?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @BlueSama
    Erasing an SSD shouldn't render it non-recognizable (it would become non-bootable though).

The PXE-ROM message you see is when the sytem cannot find any boot devices and is trying to boot from over the network.

Did you change any boot order or disable boot devices or such in BIOS? By disabling boot devices I mean disabling from USB and such. Chances are most users wouldn't do this and so should be the case with you too.
    Now considering that you too are in the majority of users who did not disable USB boot option, try making a USB bootable or a LIVE USB for Linux. You can test if it is working on the system you created it and then use it on your laptop.
    On the first attempt, use it on the USB 3 port. If that is unsuccessful, try moving it to USB 2 port. In both attempts try from cold start (shut down laptop completely for a minute, insert the USB, and then power it up).

Also, your thread is intriguing me - you mentioned you erased SSD and rebooted - how did you erase the SSD? I am assuming this was the disk you had on your laptop with some OS on. How did you erase your OS SSD?

Very importantly, please do NOT mess with the BIOS. This issue is not related to BIOS corruption at all.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • BlueSama

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho I did not test windows 10 USB bootable I will check it today.
    @sri369 as I remember correctly, I only changed UEFI boot to legacy to be able to recognize the Linux live bootable usb. before that it only could load into windows 10. I have changed to legacy and boot into linux live, formatted the whole SSD and tried to install debian 10 on SSD. at the middling of the install progress, installation closed and I could not start installation again. so I tried to reboot and it could not find live usb anymore and I could not start bios to check boot options to set usb before boot on lan. as I said pressing F2 would reboot the whole system.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Ok! Post the result here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    Use this post to create it perfectly.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!