Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51 need help troubleshooting display

Tigers_Ghost
Tigers_Ghost Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello.

I need help troubleshooting my faulty display on a Nitro 5 AN515-51, pictures below.
Firstly, every other horizontal line of pixels are missing.
Then, a bit hard to explain, but depending on what is on the screen, the whole vertical portion of the screen there will slowly start changing color or become brighter, then when you move the thing the lines will start to fade away.
Yes, this is a problem everywhere, even in BIOS, so it is not a software issue. 

Anyways I need help with how to figure out if this is a hardware problem with the GPU, the display itself, or a cable somewhere, so I can then figure out what to do with it. I have tried removing and reattaching the display cable to the motherboard, moving it around, checking if I can see it broken and the result is still the same. 

Thank you. 

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    The drivers are up to date, the problem popped out of nowhere, as I said the problem persists in BIOS so it cant be a graphics driver problem. 
    Is there any way for me to check whether it's the ribbon/cable or the display that's broken?

To check if it's the display connect an external display and see if that works. This youtube video will help you with the ribbon cable
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH0MGRmbDAo

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    If you have updated your Graphic drivers and it persists then it is almost certainly a hardware problem. Check this by connecting an external monitor, if the external monitor has a good image then your screen connecting ribbon may need reseating or the screen itself may be broken
    If I have answered your question please click YES, thankyou

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Tigers_Ghost

Tinkerer

The drivers are up to date, the problem popped out of nowhere, as I said the problem persists in BIOS so it cant be a graphics driver problem. 
    Is there any way for me to check whether it's the ribbon/cable or the display that's broken?
  • andylb
    Answer ✓

To check if it's the display connect an external display and see if that works. This youtube video will help you with the ribbon cable
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH0MGRmbDAo

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Tigers_Ghost

Tinkerer

Yes, I forgot to mention that in the previous reply, using an external display works perfectly. 
    Thank you for the help and for the video, it will probably come in handy soon. 
  • It would also be interesting if you reset the battery:
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Tigers_Ghost

Tinkerer

It would also be interesting if you reset the battery:
    I have tried this, did not do anything to help.
  • Did you check out colleague @andylb's tip?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Tigers_Ghost

Tinkerer

Did you check out colleague @andylb's tip?
    From what he said.
    Yes, I have updated the graphics driver. 
    Yes, I have tried using an external monitor.
    Yes, I have tried taking out and reseating the display cable to the motherboard.
    And I can't check if the cable or the display itself is really broken unless I buy a replacement to switch to and see if it works. 
  • Is your notebook under warranty?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tigers_Ghost

Tinkerer

Is your notebook under warranty?
    No, it is not.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited September 2019
    It would be interesting to let you know if the problem occurs when you use the notebook only on battery and also connected to the power adapter. It is also important to check the other end of the edp cable that is connected to the monitor, as colleague andylb said.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• andylb
    If everything my friend @egydiocoelho says doesn't work then you almost definitely need a new screen

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Tigers_Ghost

Tinkerer

It would be interesting to let you know if the problem occurs when you use the notebook only on battery and also connected to the power adapter. It is also important to check the other end of the edp cable that is connected to the monitor, as colleague andylb said.
    andylb said:
    If everything my friend @egydiocoelho says doesn't work then you almost definitely need a new screen
    Firstly, thank you both for trying to help, I really appreciate it. 

Yes, the problem occurs while running on battery, it occurs no matter what I do. 
    I checked the other end of the cable, reseated it, checked the pins etc, the problem is still there.
    With all that done, I think we can pretty much guarantee that its the display panel that is faulty here.
    Now I'll have to decide if I wanna buy a replacement screen or sell the whole thing for someone else to deal with.

Thank you for all the help. 
  • Copying the link that colleague andylb posted, you that the replacement is not so complicated, see:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tigers_Ghost

Tinkerer

Copying the link that colleague andylb posted, you that the replacement is not so complicated, see:
    Yes I know it's not complicated at all and I can probably handle it no problem.
    It's only that I'm not sure if the cost of buying a replacement is worth it for me. 
  • Have you at least checked the edp cable on both the motherboard connector and the display connector?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tigers_Ghost

Tinkerer

Have you at least checked the edp cable on both the motherboard connector and the display connector?
    Yes I have, checked the cable and the pins. Reseating it or moving it did not change how the problem on the display appeared so I figure that the problem has to be the display panel itself.