Microsoft Word and Shift-F7

GoldenRetrieverFan
GoldenRetrieverFan Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
My new Acer A515-52-53QM laptop is wonderful, but I'm having an issue using the function keys with Microsoft Office products.  For example, using Microsoft Word on my previous laptop I was able to hold the shift key down and press F7 to call up the thesaurus.  The F7 key on my new Acer keyboard is designed to toggle the computer's touch pad on and off, but if I am using Word and press Shift and F7 together, I get the same result.  Instead of calling up the thesaurus, it toggles the touch pad on/off.  Is there a setting somewhere I can change to make the function keys in Word work the way Microsoft designed them to work on my new Acer?

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Go to bios by pressing f2 before the Acer logo and change the function function key behavior to special or media key and post the result.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GoldenRetrieverFan
    Answer ✓
    Dear egydiocoelho, thank you so much for your reply.  I got into the BIOS (something I haven't had to do for over a decade!) and found the value for the Function Keys parameter was "Media."  The only pull-down choice to change it to was "Function keys," so I changed it to that... and all is well.  If I want to use the Acer defined function as described on the faces of the individual keys (eg, F7 to toggle the touch pad on/off), I now need to hold the Fn key down at the same time.  I believe this is the way Father Acer originally planned it.  If I want to call up the Thesaurus in Microsoft Word, I now hold the Shift-F7 key, and that is the way Father Microsoft originally planned it.  Once again, thank you for your help!

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Go to bios by pressing f2 before the Acer logo and change the function function key behavior to special or media key and post the result.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GoldenRetrieverFan
    Answer ✓
    Dear egydiocoelho, thank you so much for your reply.  I got into the BIOS (something I haven't had to do for over a decade!) and found the value for the Function Keys parameter was "Media."  The only pull-down choice to change it to was "Function keys," so I changed it to that... and all is well.  If I want to use the Acer defined function as described on the faces of the individual keys (eg, F7 to toggle the touch pad on/off), I now need to hold the Fn key down at the same time.  I believe this is the way Father Acer originally planned it.  If I want to call up the Thesaurus in Microsoft Word, I now hold the Shift-F7 key, and that is the way Father Microsoft originally planned it.  Once again, thank you for your help!
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited September 2019
    You are Welcome my friend.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer