Why is Ubuntu so slow on my A515-51

Options
actuday
actuday Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 20 in 2020 Archives
I recently purchased an Aspire A515-51. It came pre installed with Ubuntu but I installed Windows in it. Now I want to wipe out everything and install Ubuntu but after trying 18.04 thrice and 19.04 also, I've seen that the laptop takes ten minutes at least to boot

Best Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Good Morning actuday !

Already updated all drivers?
    Have you also updated the kernel and system?

sudo apt-get update && upgrade

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• actuday

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    For anyone facing the same issue, this was a problem with the hard disk. The laptop came with a faulty hard disk. I figured this out by seeing all the I/O errors in the kernel logs. 

Answers

• actuday

Tinkerer

Options
    actuday said:
    I recently purchased an Aspire A515-51. It came pre installed with Ubuntu but I installed Windows in it. Now I want to wipe out everything and install Ubuntu but after trying 18.04 thrice and 19.04 also, I've seen that the laptop takes ten minutes at least to boot

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Are you installing linux on dual boot?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Good Morning actuday !

Already updated all drivers?
    Have you also updated the kernel and system?

sudo apt-get update && upgrade

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• actuday

Tinkerer

Options
    Oh wait..That was an accident. I meant to say yew, I've updated the drivers and kernel. From what I've read off the internet, there's some issue that Ubuntu has with kaby lake generation Intel processors. Then again, I don't know if that's the cause to my problem. Is there any way to contact the official Acer support team?
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    can you do a "systemd-analyze blame" and post to see whats taking the chunk of those two 17 minute load times.
  • MaClane
    Options
    Here is an open collaborative forum of Acer users and enthusiasts.
    No users here work for or represent Acer.
    You can accept the Jew offered here or contact your local support directly: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/service-contact

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• actuday

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    For anyone facing the same issue, this was a problem with the hard disk. The laptop came with a faulty hard disk. I figured this out by seeing all the I/O errors in the kernel logs. 
  • MaClane
    Options
    Did the HDD exchange completely solve?

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• actuday

Tinkerer

Options
    It did completely solve the issue, yes.
  • MaClane
    Options
    Great!
    Needing something, just post!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• hardikkat24
    hardikkat24 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    @actuday @MaClane , I am also having problem dual booting Acer Nitro 5 with windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04
    My log files are full of errors due to iwlwifi.
    Can anybody help me with this?
  • actuday

Tinkerer

Options
    @hardikkat24 , it isn't easy for anyone to help you if you don't say what exactly is the problem. Could you elaborate? On a whim, is it a wireless card issue you're facing?