Aspire 5755G RAM Upgrade?

jruby
jruby Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I'm looking to upgrade my ram from 8gb to 16gb, however I've read online that this may not be possible. I'm running Windows 7 Home premium 64bit, which I know is capable of handling 16gb of ram.
My question is: Is there something in the bios or a motherboard limitation that will not allow me to upgrade to 16gb of RAM?
Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @jruby
    your unit support only upto 8Gb of RAM
    System Memory  
    Dual-channel DDR3 SDRAM support:
    Up to 4 GB of DDR3 system memory, upgradable to 8 GB using two soDIMM modules

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @jruby

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening jruby !

What EXACT model of your laptop?
    Example: AS5755G-6823

By default this series supports a maximum of 8Gb (2 slots, 2x4gb each) Do-DIMM DDR3 1066Mhz

This limit is imposed by the motherboard chipset and controllers, and there is no update that you can modify.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• jruby
    MaClane said:
    Good evening jruby !

What EXACT model of your laptop?
    Example: AS5755G-6823

By default this series supports a maximum of 8Gb (2 slots, 2x4gb each) Do-DIMM DDR3 1066Mhz

This limit is imposed by the motherboard chipset and controllers, and there is no update that you can modify.

This is all the information I have for the EXACT model of my system.

• MaClane
    Only supports 8GB of RAM at most:

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• jruby
    Well, I purchased 16GB of laptop memory anyways and installed it.
    All 16GB show up in the BIOS and in windows. Don't believe everything you read on the internet kids, even if it's manufacturer specifications. Here is the same system information window but with 16GB of RAM.
  • MaClane
    The point is not to believe but to understand some facts.
    The controllers base of this series is only supported on chipsets for 8Gb.
    In rare models, depending on the region, the motherboard overhaul may change.
    So by default, we follow the official information from the service manuals.
    Otherwise, users may purchase parts or hardware out of specification and simply not work.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• CrashMaster
    CrashMaster Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey jruby

How did your RAM upgrade go!?

Funnily enough was researching doing exactly the same on exactly the same model of computer and stumbled across this. How is it working out for you? Caused any issues? or have you noticed a difference in performance?

Would be interested to hear your experience and find out what you upgraded with.

Many thanks!
  • xarrar
    xarrar Member Posts: 1 New User
    I believe that maximum memory support depends upon installed processor. most authentic way to check this is to visit Intel website. In @jruby case, it seems to be 32gb for i7-2670QM.

I have i5-2450M, Chipshet HM65, 5755G, for which maximum supported memory seems to be 16 GB, as per Intel website.
    However for laptops, maximum supported RAM value is lower, because laptop manufacturer (acer in this case) is responsible for overall cooling system and system stability. Laptop manufacturers usually don't allow maximum memory, supported by your processor.

@jruby since you have already upgraded memory to 16GB, please guide us how is it going. Have you faced any problem yet?

• MaClane
    Good Morning xarrar !

To keep the forum organized and your question to have greater visibility, please avoid posting on topics already solved, opened by other users or inactive.
    Always open a new post, just as it has been guided by moderators.
    Put an @ in front of my name that I guide you there for any questions.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• @xarrar also add me by putting an @.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)