Brand-new Aspire 3 is soooo painfully slow!!

stephaniepb
stephaniepb Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just bought a brand-new Aspire 3. I've had an Acer for the past 10 years with no issues until an automatic upgrade made everything unusable and I had to replace the laptop. I'm pulling my hair out with the slow speed of the internet. I can use my husband's laptop right beside me with zero problems but this is killing me. Should I return it and buy something better?? All I need it for is Office and internet but I can't have slow internet because it affects my work productivity. Is there a trick to speeding it up?? Thanks!

Answers

• TECH_MAN
    TECH_MAN Ally Posts: 453
    Hi stephaniepb

To disable Peer to Peer Update:

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type control update in the box and press Enter.
    2. Click Advanced options.
    3. Click Delivery Optimization(or Choose how updates are delivered depending on the build of your Windows 10). 
    4. Turn the Allow downloads from other PCs(Or Update from more than one place) toggle Off.
    5. Check if the Windows 10 slow Internet issue has been fixed. If yes, then great! But if the problem persists, move on to Fix 2, below.
    6.  Adjust the Internet Bandwidth Settings

7. Here’s how to do it:

8. On your keyboard, press Ctrl, Shift and Esc at the same time to open Task Manager.
    9. Click File > Run new task.
    10. Copy & paste gpedit.msc into the box, tick the box before Create this task with administrative privileges and click OK.
    11. Under Computer Configuration, double-click on Administrative Templates > Network > QoS Packet Scheduler. Then double-click on Limit reservable bandwidth.
    12. Click the Enabled option and set Bandwidth limit (%) value to 0. Then click Apply > OK.
    13. Is your Internet getting any faster? If it’s still grinding to a crawl, 

Disable Windows Auto-Tuning

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type cmd. Then right click on Command Prompt and click Run as administrator.

Click Yes when prompted to confirm.
    2. Copy & paste netsh interface tcp show global into the window and press Enter. Then check if Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level is set to normal.
    3. If yes, you’ll have to copy & paste netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled into the window and press Enter to disable it.
    4. Check to see if your Windows 10 slow Internet problem has been solved. If the issue still lingers on, don’t worry, here’s one more fix to try.

Disable Large Send Offload

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type devmgmt.msc into the box and press Enter.
    2. Double-click on Network adapters > your network adapter.
    3. Click the Advanced tab, then click Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4) and set the value to Disabled.
    4. Click Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6) and set the value to Disabled. Then click OK.
    5. Hopefully your Windows 10 Slow Internet issue has been resolved successfully.
    "Hit Accept if its helpful"  
    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • stephaniepb

Tinkerer

Thanks so much! I'm going through the second option now and task manager isn't finding gpedit.msc . It says windows cannot find it and make sure you typed it correctly. Any ideas? Thanks again!

• stephaniepb

Tinkerer

Ah okay... thanks. So my internet is still pretty slow on here. Not sure why... I go onto my husband's laptop and it's way faster so it's not our internet connection...  :(
  • stephaniepb

Tinkerer

Any other ideas??  :(
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    press start button, then settings, then click on Network & Internet, then inthe resulting window scroll down and click on Network Reset.
    post what happens...
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    stephaniepb, what is the exact model of your Aspire 3?

Are you connected to 2Ghz or 5Ghz?

Do you have any Anti-Virus installed? Is it expired or a trail?

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• stephaniepb

Tinkerer

Coqui13 How do I tell what the model is?? Hmmm... It was pretty inexpensive so I'm sure it's a base model at any rate... And I don't know about ghz either but probably 2. Our internet isn't super fast but my husband's laptop (and my old one) doesn't have this issue. Anti-virus is Windows Defender; brand-new laptop so it hasn't expired. I uninstalled Norton. Thanks!

If I do a network reset, will it delete everything I've already done to fix this??
  • stephaniepb

Tinkerer

This is a brand-new laptop... I shouldn't have to reset anything I don't think... I'm so frustrated though.  :( 
  • Deejay_tech
    it will reset your network card and wifi  connections settings.
    no harm to your laptop.
    My personal Acer m/c's

• stephaniepb

Tinkerer

It was even slower when I first got it a couple of weeks ago, though... so wouldn't that slow the computer down again?? But I'll give it a try. I'm this close to taking the laptop back to the store this weekend. I do a lot of work on the internet and it's seriously torture.

• stephaniepb

Tinkerer

Just did the reset. No difference at all.
  • Deejay_tech
    is your net (wifi) speed slow or the laptop processing slow. that has to be determined.
    My personal Acer m/c's

• stephaniepb

Tinkerer

Wifi Works just fine on my old laptop and my husband's laptop. It's this laptop for sure
  • Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    Wifi Works just fine on my old laptop and my husband's laptop. It's this laptop for sure
    We are sorry you are having this internet issue. We understand you mention other computers work faster with your internet connection, we also see that you tried some of this troubleshooting, please check all steps, if the issue persist we suggest  you contact Acer repair center in your region.

Check connections and reset your modem and router
    1. Reset the modem and router by unplugging them. Count to 10, then plug them back in.
    2. Open your web browser and try to access a web page to see if the problem is resolved.
    Make sure your wireless drivers are up to date
    1. Visit http://www.acer.com.
    2. Click Support, then select Drivers and Manuals.
    3. Download the latest wireless driver for your product.
    4. Follow the driver installation instruction.
    Disable your Wi-fi powersaving feature
    1. Open your Device Manager and click on Network Adapters.
    2. Select your Wi-fi adapter from the list and go to Power Management.
    3. Uncheck the box Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    Disable Antivirus or other programs that may be interfering
    1. Turn off your antivirus program or any other program that may be interfering with communication.
    2. If you turn off your antivirus because it is causing problems, make sure your computer is protected in another manner.
    Try other internet access points
    1. There can be compatibility issues even if other devices work on your wireless network.
    2. Try the wireless connection at a free local wireless access point or hotspot such as a coffee shop, hotel or other business. A friend or family’s connection could also be used.
    3. If your system works on other access points, your computer wireless hardware is working. You may need to check router settings or contact your internet service provider.
    Check for viruses, spyware, and malware
    1. Use a antivirus program to scan your computer for viruses, spyware, and malware.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.