Swift SF314-54G: experiencing FPS drops in games

nathanielevan
nathanielevan Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
I have an Acer Swift SF314-54G with Intel Core i5-8250U, NVIDIA GeForce MX150, and 8GB of DDR4 2400MHz RAM (stock came with 4, I added another 4). I'm experiencing considerable FPS drops in games; for 10 minutes or so, the game would run smooth as butter at 100+ FPS, and then it would drop to 70, then to 40 FPS. Running Task Manager on the background I noticed that the CPU was throttling down to 800-900 MHz. All this while my laptop was still plugged in.
I tried removing DPTF and adding some registry keys that prevents it from being reinstalled upon reboot, and the performance became really jerky; 5 seconds it would run at 80+ FPS, then dropping all the way to the low 40s, jumps back to 80+ and so on. Mysteriously enough, I put my laptop to sleep once, woke it up and ran the same game and it was running perfectly fine, I had Core Temp running and the CPU temperature didn't seem to exceed 80 degrees Celsius.
Is anyone experiencing a similar issue? If so, did you manage to work around it, and how? Part of me thinks it's not a good idea to keep DPTF removed as to my understanding it brings an advantage in battery life when unplugged, and I could use some of that extra battery life when I'm away from my desktop. Thanks!

Answers

• TECH_MAN
    TECH_MAN Ally Posts: 453
    Hi nathanielevan
    Use Maximum Performance

To make sure Games get maximum GPU cycles, its best to change the power management mode to prefer maximum performance. Open Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Select a program to customize > Power management mode > Prefer maximum performance.

Use NVIDIA GPU instead of CPU

If your settings have somehow changed to use NVIDIA CPU instead of  NVIDIA GPU, change it. In the control panel, configure surround PhysX

Disable gaming option in Windows 10 which is available in the settings. Go to Settings > Gaming > Gaming mode, Xbox, turn off the options.
    Reinstall the games sometimes solve the problem. While updates do help, but if something is misconfigured, this is your best chance.
    Check your game settings. Most of the games offer the option to raise FPS which works best for that version of PC.
    You can turn off Full Screen Optimization. To do this, find the exe file of the game, and then Properties > Compatibility > Disable Fullscreen optimization.
    Disable Diagtrack service.
    Disable antivirus while gaming.
    Run SFC on your computer. It may fix some corrupted systems files on the PC.
    Reduce the PC resolution by going to Settings > System > Display > Scale and layout > Resolution.
    Disable Intel Turbo Boost by changing Power Plans.
    Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options > Change advanced power settings
    Select  Processor power management and expand it.
    Expand Maximum processor state and modify both On battery and Plugged into 99%.
    Then simply click Apply and OK.

"Hit Accept if its helpful"  

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • nathanielevan
    nathanielevan Member Posts: 7 New User
    Apologies for necro-ing this thread, but I'm afraid this hasn't worked for me, sorry. I'm using BIOS v1.16, the latest right now; I suspect the BIOS is the culprit, as this did not happen before I upgraded at all. I'm wondering if I can downgrade the BIOS, as it has been almost 4 months without a single BIOS update, and I'm afraid it might take a while or even worse, not fixed at all.
  • CptNaditra
    CptNaditra Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have a same problem with you how to fix it
  • CptNaditra
    CptNaditra Member Posts: 3 New User
    TECH_MAN said:
    Hi nathanielevan
    Use Maximum Performance

To make sure Games get maximum GPU cycles, its best to change the power management mode to prefer maximum performance. Open Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Select a program to customize > Power management mode > Prefer maximum performance.

Use NVIDIA GPU instead of CPU

If your settings have somehow changed to use NVIDIA CPU instead of  NVIDIA GPU, change it. In the control panel, configure surround PhysX

Disable gaming option in Windows 10 which is available in the settings. Go to Settings > Gaming > Gaming mode, Xbox, turn off the options.
    Reinstall the games sometimes solve the problem. While updates do help, but if something is misconfigured, this is your best chance.
    Check your game settings. Most of the games offer the option to raise FPS which works best for that version of PC.
    You can turn off Full Screen Optimization. To do this, find the exe file of the game, and then Properties > Compatibility > Disable Fullscreen optimization.
    Disable Diagtrack service.
    Disable antivirus while gaming.
    Run SFC on your computer. It may fix some corrupted systems files on the PC.
    Reduce the PC resolution by going to Settings > System > Display > Scale and layout > Resolution.
    Disable Intel Turbo Boost by changing Power Plans.
    Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options > Change advanced power settings
    Select  Processor power management and expand it.
    Expand Maximum processor state and modify both On battery and Plugged into 99%.
    Then simply click Apply and OK.

"Hit Accept if its helpful"  

My sf314-54g doesnt have select processor management