Nitro 5 (AN515-42) 2400 RAM to 2666 RAM

Der027
Der027 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello! My AN515-42 has a 8gb DDR4-2400 stock ram. Can I remove this and replace with 2pcs of DDR4-2666 (8gb each)

Or, can I add one 2666mhz ram to the existing 2400mhz? If yes, will there be any side effects on my laptop?

Thank you

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Der027 

It isn't bad to mix two RAMs with different frequencies, however, your motherboard will use the slowest speed available which in this case is 2400MHz. Compatibility issues are possible, so most will recommend you to get memory with the same brand, capacity, speed and timing.
    You'd do best to buy a new kit and sell or set aside your old RAM. Second best is to buy the exact same RAM you already have and hope it works together.

This model has  2x DIMM DDR4 sockets, Supports memory size per socket 16GB
    Supports maximum memory size od total 32GB
    Supports DIMM Speed DDR4 2400, voltage 1.2V, package 260-pin DDR4 SO-DIMM

Some of the officially listed memory modules are listed below:

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Der027
    Der027 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Im not sure if this laptop supports 2666mhz ram.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Der027 

It isn't bad to mix two RAMs with different frequencies, however, your motherboard will use the slowest speed available which in this case is 2400MHz. Compatibility issues are possible, so most will recommend you to get memory with the same brand, capacity, speed and timing.
    You'd do best to buy a new kit and sell or set aside your old RAM. Second best is to buy the exact same RAM you already have and hope it works together.

This model has  2x DIMM DDR4 sockets, Supports memory size per socket 16GB
    Supports maximum memory size od total 32GB
    Supports DIMM Speed DDR4 2400, voltage 1.2V, package 260-pin DDR4 SO-DIMM

Some of the officially listed memory modules are listed below:

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited September 2019
    The laptop will run using 2666 mhz but it throttles back to 2400 mhz per laptop specs, so just buy the 2400. Go to the Crucial link below for guaranteed compatibility for your exact model. I write down the part number then buy it from Amazon, it's cheaper and faster delivery
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/nitro-5-an515-42#MEMORYFilters

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★