Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Fan speed will not slow down when idle after heavy load Nitro 5

javak810ijavak810i Posts: 2Member New User
Hello, I have an issue with the cooling of my Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51 with Core i7 9750H and GTX 1660 Ti. First, the temperatures are not that great - when playing Overwatch, the CPU reaches up to 96°C (with -150mV undervolt) and the GPU up to 85°C.

Anyway, I have an issue with the fan speed - I have the Coolboost turned on. When I start gaming, the fans will obviously speed up - that is fine. But after I stop gaming, the fans will never get back to the idle speed of around 2300-2500 RPM even after the CPU and GPU have cooled down. Instead the fan speed will stay at around 3800-4100 RPM with temperatures below 50°C and it is quite lound and annoying. Turning the Coolboost off and on will slow down the fans to the normal idle speed of around 2300 RPM but it is only a temporary fix (after gaming the fans will get stuck in 4000 RPM territory again).

Any suggestions?

FAQ & Answers

• GLMGLM Posts: 44Member Troubleshooter
    check your POWER PLAN settings 

Reset to.Default 

• andylbandylb Posts: 1,034Member Valued Contributor
    javak810i said:
    Hello, I have an issue with the cooling of my Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51 with Core i7 9750H and GTX 1660 Ti. First, the temperatures are not that great - when playing Overwatch, the CPU reaches up to 96°C (with -150mV undervolt) and the GPU up to 85°C.

Anyway, I have an issue with the fan speed - I have the Coolboost turned on. When I start gaming, the fans will obviously speed up - that is fine. But after I stop gaming, the fans will never get back to the idle speed of around 2300-2500 RPM even after the CPU and GPU have cooled down. Instead the fan speed will stay at around 3800-4100 RPM with temperatures below 50°C and it is quite lound and annoying. Turning the Coolboost off and on will slow down the fans to the normal idle speed of around 2300 RPM but it is only a temporary fix (after gaming the fans will get stuck in 4000 RPM territory again).

Any suggestions?

This is a recurring problem, the only answer so far is to create a custom plan with fan speeds set at 2500 then game with the fan speed set manually to Max with Coolboost and then when finished gaming turn off Coolboost and select the 2500 custom plan

Please click "YES" to "Did this answer the question" if my answer helped solve your problem. 

Thank you and have a blessed day  B)