XB271HU Brightness Control over DDC/CI Protocol

tom8
tom8 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2019 in Predator Monitors
Hello,

On my old Lenovo monitor, I used to be able to control the brightness and contrast using software that uses the VESA Monitor Control Command Set and the DDC/CI Protocol.

My current monitor (XB271HU) also supports DDC/CI, however, can not change brightness, only contrast and color values.
But I have found out, that when you set the XB271HU into Factory Mode (by holding Game Mode Button + Power Button, while monitor is off), you can change the brightness!

So it seems that the VCP code 0x10 for changing brightness DOES work, but is somehow locked outside of the Factory mode.

Does anyone know how to make VCP code 0x10 change the brightness in Normal mode (outside of the Factory mode)?

I know this is very technical, but I just want to be able to change brightness and contrast per software, as pressing the hardware buttons is really tedious, and I change those settings A LOT.

Thank you,
Tom

Answers

• weilii
    weilii Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2021
    Did you (or anyone else) ever happen to find a solution to this issue? I have wanted software brightness control in my monitor for ages, and having just discovered clickmonitor, i was heart broken to find that it worked with my crappy old secondary and tertiary monitors, but not my main display. I just want to be able to automate the brightness to lower at night!

I feel like we are the only two people in the whole world who care about this!
  • tom8
    weilii said:
    Did you (or anyone else) ever happen to find a solution to this issue? I have wanted software brightness control in my monitor for ages, and having just discovered clickmonitor, i was heart broken to find that it worked with my crappy old secondary and tertiary monitors, but not my main display. I just want to be able to automate the brightness to lower at night!

Hey man.
    Unfortunately, no..
    I still use this monitor, and I have given up on Software Brightness Control.

It really does seem like we're the only ones who care.
    I remember, when making this post, I've done a crazy amount of research.
    You also never see Tech YouTubers talking about DDC/CI Support, also unfortunate.

In 2019 I also reached out to the Dev of ClickClickMonitor (who happens to be German as well), and he couldn't help me either. He also said that another person with the same monitor has reached out to him per E-Mail as well.

On my next monitor purchase I will definitely test out its DDC/CI protocol support right after arrival, because using the Buttons on Monitors is just.. slow and annoying.

It's annoying, because it's just Software/Firmware, and Firmware can theoretically be updated. And it would be especially important on monitors, because many monitors have badly tuned Overdrive or other issues that could be fixed with a software update.
    But we can't, which leaves many monitors imperfect.
  • tom8
    weilii said:

Apparently my previous reply isn't getting approved or whatever the Acer Admins are doing.

But I have to say no. I wasn't able to find any solution. I'm still using that monitor, and control the brightness using the buttons. It's annoying, but 2019 I have done a crazy amount of research and just gave up on DDC/CI on this stupid ugly monitor.

• Zentada
    Zentada Member Posts: 2 New User

My XB271HU was the same, could control contrast etc but not brightness.

Then I went into factory mode to test if I could change brightness there, and yes it changed.

But then when I left factory mode, I could still change the brightness over DDC. I've since replugged the monitor to check if it stuck and I'm still able to change brightness over DDC.

I haven't changed any settings, but in factory mode I accidentally turned off the "Burn In Pattern" setting, so I turned it back on again.

• Zentada
    Zentada Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited October 2022

Got ahead of myself... DDC brightness only works when "Burn In Pattern" is enabled. Going into factory mode auto-enables "Burn In Pattern", atleast on my monitor.

But, Burn In Pattern flashes the screen different colors when there is no signal.

So there are two options as far as I know:

1. Don't use brightness DDC
    2. Use brightness DDC with Burn In Pattern enabled, and press the power button on the monitor every time you turn off your PC

Theres several things you could do to automate option 2, but may be quite advanced.