Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Travelmate power consumption issue (TMP614-51-50FJ)

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an Acer Travelmate P6 (TMP614-51-50FJ), got a larger nvme ssd, and dual booted linux (xubuntu 19.04) on it. The laptop is beautiful, and I love it, but there does seem to be an issue that I cannot find a solution to. When the system is suspended/sleeping, the battery life was pretty terrible, maxing out at 16 hours when asleep. (my chromebook gets 2 weeks+) I investigated a bit and found this was caused by the speakers and the speaker driver circuitry. They are warming up to about 30 f (17 c) above ambient and consuming 2-5 watts when the laptop is asleep. After some investigation, it appears to be an issue with suspending the speakers, which occurs 6 seconds after playing any sound. Using an oscilloscope, I looked at exactly what was happening to the speakers, and there seems to be a 1.2 MHz square wave on both speakers with a peak amplitude of about 13v. After some further investigation, overriding this speaker suspend feature fixes the situation when the OS is running, but does not when it is sleeping. Additionally when it is overridden, there seems to be a high-pitched whine between 16 KHz and 19.5 KHz. Windows has the same wine, but it does not have the 1.2 MHz square wave using the battery and possibly damaging the speakers.

I also made a post on the Ubuntu forums, where more diagnostic information can be found: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2425921

Any information that could help lead to a solution is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

FAQ & Answers

• Bios version 1.03 updates the thermal table. What is the version of uefi bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • N2EEEN2EEE Posts: 2Member New User
    Thank you for your comment,
    I updated to 1.03 (It was 1.01). The fan seems to run significantly less, but the issue persists. That will help power-wise in the long run, thank you for that.

Do you have any other potential solutions you can think of?

Best regards
  • I suggest you check this channel on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)