Acer Veriton M6618G shuts down, then one long continuous beep

AndyRL
AndyRL Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
For the last couple of weeks my computer Acer Veriton M6618G has been having this issue. The computer is about 5 years old.

Description of the Problem:

With no apperent reason, at some point it suddenly shuts down and then produces a long continuous beep (infinite beep that never stops) from the case speaker. Everything is black and no peripheral work at that point. Although the computer is technically "still on", as I have to hold the power-up button to make the beep stop and therefore shut the PC down completely

Then, most of the time, I can simply power-up the computer again, and it will power up fine. But, after a few hours, or sometimes even just a few minutes of the computer being on, the same exact problem will happen again with the same exact behavior. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it happens. For example, it doesn't seem related to the computer being under stress with lots of programs opened, or any other particular scenario that I could identify: sometimes I can have lots of programs opened and it works just fine, sometimes with just one browser window it can shut down. Or viceversa. 

The fact that it can't be reproduced consistently but happens at the most random of times has been making it hard to troubleshoot.

What I've done

By looking at the Beep Codes of the model (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/445283/Acer-Veriton-M6618g.html?page=91) it says that "Continuous one long beep" means "Memory not installed or memory error."

I've read around forums a lot, and looked up a tons of possible solution suggested in related issue. I ran Windows 10 Memory Diagnostic Tool and it returned with no errors. I gathered it could have been an issue with internal dust. So last week I took the computer to an assistance store and they cleaned up it internally from dust, and made sure all the components were seated correctly. They also changed the CMOS battery and made sure the processor was fresh.

What now

After returning, for about 3-4 days, the computer ran fine and the problem didn't happen anymore. Thought it was fixed. However, in the last 2-3 days, it started happening again, and it's seemingly getting worse too.

This morning, after the problem happened, I could not power up the computer anymore. The beep would start immediately as I pressed the power-up button, so it would not boot up at all, it would go straight into the beep. I tried several times, same result. I unplugged everything and this time I opened the computer by myself. I made sure again that all the components were seated correctly again. Then I tried to turn it on, and now it did power up. However, after about 15 minutes, there we go again, the same issue happens again.

Now I'm writing this post from this computer. So now it has been powered-on long enough for me to come and write this. But it could shut down again any minute I guess...

Based on what I described and done, any idea of what the problem could be? Any suggestion on what to do next?

Thanks for the help!

Answers

• Would you have to test with another ram?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)