True shutdown of Chromebook 15 (CB3-532) possible?

Options
Lauren66
Lauren66 Member Posts: 45 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Using the shutdown icon in the status tray seems to be like sleeping a Windows computer, but adding the holding down of the power button for "3 to 5 seconds" didn't change anything. When I open the lid of the computer it comes right on. Is this something to be concerned about with a Chromebook?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    You probably didn't press  & hold the button long enough. Do it till you see a screen to  power off. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lauren66
    Options
    Okay. So if I start with the icon in the status tray it gives me a blank screen immediately and nothing happens if I then push the power button. If I just use the power button a screen comes right up that has a little box with 3 icons in it. The power off button was highlighted already and it shut right down - I didn't even have time to read what the other two icons were for - so I thought that was the solution. But I just opened the lid and it started right up again. What am I missing, Jack?! 
  • JackE
    Options
    Try this. Click the clock area t open system tray. Click settings gear. Scroll down to device section. Click 'Power'  Try turning 'Sleep when lid is closed'  'off'. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lauren66
    Options
    Thanks, Jack, but that didn't change anything. Now I'm wondering if there's something wrong with this computer and I should return it while I have the window to do so, but both of the ones I've had behaved the same way. And calling acer support for help has just been a waste of time.
    Thanks again for trying.
  • JackE
    Options
    Try pressing and holding the power button till the screen turns black. May take 30 seconds. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lauren66
    Options
    The screen goes black in about 2 seconds. But it doesn't change the end result.     I just spent an hour on the phone with Acer support - very nice people but they don't know any more about it than we do. The person I spoke with put me on hold for awhile and checked on this, and some other questions I had, with someone else and the bottom line is that some models of Acer Chromebooks actually turn off and some don't. My computer (and the first one I had for a couple of days) don't. They are basically sleeping and supposedly that's okay. I give up. I know my son sleeps his Windows computers unless he's going to be gone for a period of time and it doesn't hurt them, so I'm going to have to believe that it isn't going to hurt mine either. Thanks for working with me on this, Jack. I really appreciate it.  
  • JackE
    Options
    It's true that sleep mode consumes very little power but still isn't like a full power off state. Only four different ways of turning off Chromebooks appear on the Google ChromeOS support pages. To turn off your Chromebook completely, try one of these options:
    • At the bottom right, select the time. Select Power Shut down.
    • At the bottom right, select the time. Select Sign out and then Shut down.
    • Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds.
    • Press and hold the Power button until you see a menu to Power off or Sign out.
    If none of the Chrome operating system software shutdown work, then the only option left is to disconnect the battery. I'd guess however that a future OS or ACER update might magically fix the issue.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lauren66
    Options
    I agree that not being able to shut a computer down doesn't really make sense. Let's hope for the magic to happen!

Is NJ New Jersey? I hear you have a reputation for escape rooms. My son just spent a couple of weeks there with friends and they did 12 of them during that time. I'm from Maine but moved out to NM 3 years ago. I'm still thinking about going back to ME.