Where is the right key on the keyboard of Nitro 5

UMLer
UMLer Member Posts: 6 New User
I just bought a laptop the model is Nitro 5. So far I found left ctrl can work well. but the left ctrl can not. actually it doese not like a ctrl key. when i press it, the '\' character is shown. is there any way to get the function of right ctrl key back?

second question is how to make the keyboard always light up?
thanks a lot.

Answers

• Blues
    Blues Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    UMLer said:
    I just bought a laptop the model is Nitro 5. So far I found left ctrl can work well. but the left ctrl can not. actually it doese not like a ctrl key. when i press it, the '\' character is shown. is there any way to get the function of right ctrl key back?

thanks a lot.
    > Please share the exact model number of your device Ex: AN515-XX-XX
    Also, i would recommend you to check your keyboard language. Alternatively try the combination of Fn key and ctrl then check if it works as Ctrl.

> As of now there is no option to always light up the keyboard backlight

if this helps you then click on "like"
    If this answered your question then click on "Accept"
    If my comment gives you a solution then please hit on "Yes"
    If you like or agree to my comment then please hit "Like"
  • UMLer
    The model is AN515-53-592T
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited August 2019
    UMLer said:

For the keyboard light. Update to latest BIOS version 1.26 here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7571?b=1 You don't need the others the latest version contains all updates. Restart laptop and tap f2 continuously to enter BIOS setup, under the general tab you will find Keyboard Lighting Timeout, select disabled then press f10. The keyboard will still turn off on battery but now it will stay lit on power. Please click yes if I answered your question 

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• UMLer
    OK, sounds good. Thanks, I will try it later. How about the question of the right CTRL key ?
  • andylb
    UMLer said:
    OK, sounds good. Thanks, I will try it later. How about the question of the right CTRL key ?

Try these steps and see if any of them work

1. Press both ctrl at the same time.
    2. Press both ctrl + alt at the same time (Dell 1545 worked)
    3. Press both ctrl + shift + alt at the same time.
    4. Press both ctrl + shift + alt at the same time including the Fn key (Lenovo)
    5. Alt+ ctrl = Fn

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• UMLer
    andylb said:
    UMLer said:

For the keyboard light. Update to latest BIOS version 1.26 here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7571?b=1 You don't need the others the latest version contains all updates. Restart laptop and tap f2 continuously to enter BIOS setup, under the general tab you will find Keyboard Lighting Timeout, select disabled then press f10. The keyboard will still turn off on battery but now it will stay lit on power. Please click yes if I answered your question 

i dare not try this, i afraid it could not be good for my laptop
  • UMLer
    andylb said:
    UMLer said:

Try these steps and see if any of them work

1. Press both ctrl at the same time.
    2. Press both ctrl + alt at the same time (Dell 1545 worked)
    3. Press both ctrl + shift + alt at the same time.
    4. Press both ctrl + shift + alt at the same time including the Fn key (Lenovo)
    5. Alt+ ctrl = Fn

The key which I mentioned can work. but the location where the key is should be the right ctrl key. but the key looks do not like a ctrl key. when i press it, the character '\' shows up. so where is right ctrl key? there are many shortcut keys need right ctrl key, i really need it.
  • andylb
    UMLer said:
    andylb said:
    UMLer said:

Why???? it is officially issued by Acer and everyone does it. The BIOS warning is to make sure you do it properly

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• UMLer
    andylb said:
    UMLer said:
    andylb said:
    UMLer said:

Why???? it is officially issued by Acer and everyone does it. The BIOS warning is to make sure you do it properly
    Would you like pay any attention to my CTRL key question? Many shortcut keys need this right CTRL key. Thanks a lot.
  • andylb
    edited August 2019
    UMLer said:
    andylb said:
    UMLer said:
    andylb said:
    UMLer said:

Would you like pay any attention to my CTRL key question? Many shortcut keys need this right CTRL key. Thanks a lot.

I am NOT an employee of Acer, this is NOT the official Acer support site. We are users just like you and we share what knowledge we have in our own free time. If our answers don't help you please call the Acer support for your region

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• JKwok
    JKwok Member Posts: 1 New User
    UMLer said:

thanks a lot.
    Please check the typo error. It is very misleading and people would think that your left ctrl has a problem. Nitro 5 does not have a R ctrl button. Good luck or re-mapping the functions in game like DCS. The best solution is to add in an USB wired keyboard gaming keyboard.
  • VincentK
    VincentK Member Posts: 1 New User
    UMLer said:

thanks a lot.
    Sorry, a bit late of a reply, but I found solution. I just also bought an Acer Nitro with the same problem, (not so) apparently this is a location-based keyboard layout, according to my research. There is a way to bring the right CTRL back: assign the troubled key to the right CTRL function with a re-mapping app such as SharpKeys (I have tested this one, it worked well). This app is free, needs no installation, and can be removed after doing its job.
    Link: https://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/ 
    Fun fact: in SharpKeys, the problematic key is called "ISO Extra Key", which is different from backslash "\ |" key (above Enter), so you can re-map without affecting the good "\ |" key.