Acer Aspire 5 - Update BIOS/Firmware

Options
Shailu5492
Shailu5492 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have Acer Aspire 5. I want to update BIOS/Firmware. But I Don't know how to update. please tell me the steps or share video.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good evening Shailu5492 !

What EXACT model of your laptop?

Is there any specific need to upgrade to Bios?

Bios upgrades are extremely delicate and risky processes and should only be performed in serious cases of serious system errors or extreme need for correction or compatibility.
    Other than that this is a process that should be avoided as much as possible, especially if your machine is working perfectly.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Shailu5492

Tinkerer

Options
    MaClane, Acer aspire 5's model is A515-51G.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    A515-51G is only the series.
    The last 4 characters are the ones that indicate the exact model.

Is there any specific need to upgrade to Bios?
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Shailu5492

Tinkerer

Options
    but i want to update bios . 
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Connect your charger first.
    download the latest bios bios file from the acer support site, by entering the serial num. , make sure it is the correct support page for your model (most probably A515-51G). download the latest version of bios file, usually the topmost one.
    then double click the downloaded file.
    keep the charger connected....
    the laptop will check the bios file and if eligible it will reboot and update the bios.

after the bios update it takes some time to boot , so dont panic.

My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • Skyguard
    Skyguard Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I have an issue with BIOS of Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51G)

I am trying to run Ubuntu 18.04 on this laptop. Ubuntu will not recognize RST Optane Sata Mode.

There is the "hidden" SATA Mode menu option (CTRL-S) to  be able to change SATA Mode from RST with Optane to AHCI

I choose AHCI - and Save the BIOS.

Sometimes (when  laptop goes into hibernate mode) the BIOS "forgets" that I have SATA Mode set to AHCI and then I cannot start my laptop. Instead of it taking a few seconds to wake up from hibernate, I get a black screen and nothing happens. Sometimes it takes me 5-10 minutes to get the laptop to restart and get into BIOS settings. When I go into BIOS, it is back at RST Optane (It forgets that I saved it as AHCI)..

This is a brand new laptop and this makes it very frustrating to use. If the laptop goes to sleep it takes me a long time to get back to using my computer for
  • Skyguard
    edited June 2020
    Options
    oops exact model of Acer Aspire 5 is A515-54G-73U9 (issue with BIOS forgetting SATA mode is AHCI)
  • Skyguard
    Options
    I have an issue with BIOS of Acer Aspire 5 (A515-51G) -- perhaps this is why Shailu5492  wants to upgrade his BIOS??

I am trying to run Ubuntu 18.04 on this laptop. Ubuntu will not recognize RST Optane Sata Mode.

There is the "hidden" SATA Mode menu option (CTRL-S) to  be able to change SATA Mode from RST with Optane to AHCI

I choose AHCI - and Save the BIOS.

Sometimes (when  laptop goes into hibernate mode) the BIOS "forgets" that I have SATA Mode set to AHCI and then I cannot start my laptop. Instead of it taking a few seconds to wake up from hibernate, I get a black screen and nothing happens. Sometimes it takes me 5-10 minutes to get the laptop to restart and get into BIOS settings. When I go into BIOS, it is back at RST Optane (It forgets that I saved it as AHCI)..

This is a brand new laptop and this makes it very frustrating to use. If the laptop goes to sleep it takes me a long time to get back to using my computer for work. Is there a fix for this bug in the BIOS yet?

• Shailu5492

Tinkerer

Options
    Connect your charger first.
    download the latest bios bios file from the acer support site, by entering the serial num. , make sure it is the correct support page for your model (most probably A515-51G). download the latest version of bios file, usually the topmost one.
    then double click the downloaded file.
    keep the charger connected....
    the laptop will check the bios file and if eligible it will reboot and update the bios.

after the bios update it takes some time to boot , so dont panic.

Thank you Deejay_tech. but I have another problem of BIOS update.when I starts update BIOS Its shows notification mount EFI Partition. how can I solve this Problem?