Why is RAM soldered in and not able to upgrade to 8 Gb of RAM? Aspire 3

Options
ezymel
ezymel Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi:
I am brand new here.  Name is Mel but I go by ezymel.  The question I am asking is not so easy though.  I just purchased the Aspire 3 laptop. I am wondering why the  RAM is soldered in instead of being plugged in.  I did not realize that when I first purchased it and no one told me.  It has 4 Gb of RAM and I want to upgrade it to 8 Gb.  Ram being soldered in, I am not able to do that and would not even attempt to make that change.  It would more than likely void the warranty.  If I knew beforehand, I would have exchanged it as I had a grace period of 30-days.  That time is well over by a month.  Now, I think I am stuck with it and only by the grace of acer, I would be able to exchange it.  Needless to say, this is the very first time that I have ever experienced RAM being soldered in.  I don't see the reasoning behind it.  Overall, the acer laptop is nicely manufactured and looks nice.

On this note, I will say thank you for letting me post this.

ezymel

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,116 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    I am sorry to hear that you are stuck with the memory and unable to upgrade it, they have done it to produce thinner affordable laptops, you should have done extensive research about it beforehand, never mind, 4GB is more than enough for day to day work, manufacturers used to produce laptops with upgradable CPU and Graphics but now most of the laptops come with soldered CPU and GPU(they used to be chunkier and heavier), I think we will have soldered storage as well in future to make more thinner(lighter) and cost effective laptops, it's part of evolution of laptops, I guess.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,116 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    I am sorry to hear that you are stuck with the memory and unable to upgrade it, they have done it to produce thinner affordable laptops, you should have done extensive research about it beforehand, never mind, 4GB is more than enough for day to day work, manufacturers used to produce laptops with upgradable CPU and Graphics but now most of the laptops come with soldered CPU and GPU(they used to be chunkier and heavier), I think we will have soldered storage as well in future to make more thinner(lighter) and cost effective laptops, it's part of evolution of laptops, I guess.
  • ezymel
    ezymel Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you brummyfan2 for your answer.  I guess when you look at clunky laptops years ago, they were heavy and had room for all kinds of plug-ins.  Now-a-days, miniturization is the name of the game.  I have never thought that RAM was that big and bulky.  Since I am old school, I have always preferred the desktop over the laptop because you can do so much with it.  The laptop is great for portability.  That is, great for students, business people and just general use in places that have wi-fi.  I guess I will just have to get used to miniature equipment.

ezymel