Adding SSD to E5-473-38EY

fardhenio
fardhenio Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2019 in Aspire Laptops
Hello! I have some questions regarding to my laptop.
I have an Aspire E 14, with this specific type: https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2015/4876/E5-473/NX.MXNSN.001.html
I've installed a more 2 GB DDR3L, so I'm having 4 GB of RAM now.

I'm planning to replace my ODD with a HDD Caddy, and install a 240 GB SSD.
My questions are:
1. Is my laptop compatible to do so? If yes,
2. Which one is better installed on the caddy, the HDD one or the SSD one?

Or do you have any other alternative to add an SSD to my laptop maybe?
Thank you in advance for your help! 😊🙏

Best Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good Morning fardhenio !

This model has no M.2 slot for SSD.
    Then you can only add a standard 2.5 "inch Sata 3 SSD.

There are 2 options:

You can replace your HDD with an SSD or install a 9.00mm caddy adapter at the ODD location.
    In this case, the SSD must replace the HDD and HDD in the caddy adapter.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    1. What are the noticable consequences of doing this procedure? For example, will it worsen how my battery drains?

R: As for the battery, each and every upgrade will generate a higher energy expenditure.
    This is a fact and not how to get around.

2. Do I have to re-install every app that has been installed in my HDD before?

R: If you install SSD yes, you will need to reinstall all applications, configurations, etc.

3. Is it correct/performable if I'm planning to simply use the SSD as my OS (C:) Drive and the HDD as my DATA (D:) Drive?

R: Yes.
    This is the correct fomra.
    You cannot install applications on the HDD while the operating system is on the SSD.
    This causes loss of performance.

After all, is it a worth-to-try and recommended procedure? Sorry for asking so many questions as I'm new to this 😵

You will get a final gain in read and write speed.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good Morning fardhenio !

There are 2 options:

You can replace your HDD with an SSD or install a 9.00mm caddy adapter at the ODD location.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• fardhenio
    MaClane said:
    Good Morning fardhenio !

There are 2 options:

Thank you so much for you answer, that really helps a lot! But before I flag this thread as "fixed", I have more several questions:
    1. What are the noticable consequences of doing this procedure? For example, will it worsen how my battery drains?
    3. Is it correct/performable if I'm planning to simply use the SSD as my OS (C:) Drive and the HDD as my DATA (D:) Drive?

After all, is it a worth-to-try and recommended procedure? Sorry for asking so many questions as I'm new to this 😵
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓

R: As for the battery, each and every upgrade will generate a higher energy expenditure.
    This is a fact and not how to get around.

R: If you install SSD yes, you will need to reinstall all applications, configurations, etc.

This is the correct fomra.
    You cannot install applications on the HDD while the operating system is on the SSD.
    This causes loss of performance.

You will get a final gain in read and write speed.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• fardhenio
    MaClane said:
    Good Morning fardhenio !

There are 2 options:

Thank you so much for you answer, that really helps a lot! But before I flag this thread as "fixed", I have more several questions:

• Madkiem
    Madkiem Member Posts: 1 New User
    Can i use 60gb ssd and 260gb hdd w/caddy on my acer e5-473g to make it faster?

My English is bad