Charge Chromebook Spin 13 with mobile phone charger

petewib
petewib Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
Anyone knows if it would be possible to charge the Chromebook Spin 13 (CP713-1WN-53NF for example) with an ordinary mobile phone charger? It would be slow of course but would it work? It would be great if it could work with any charger but I do have a fast charger for ZTE Axon 7 that also have higher voltages.

So, anyone knows? It doesn't matter how long the charge time would be, I'm only interested in if it is at all possible. (I don't own a Chromebook yet but I'm considering one.)
Thanks!

Answers

• Ishy
    Ishy Member Posts: 143 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi, @petewib Yes you can charge it and it would take long time to charge but it would not be recommended as it might damage the device. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Most mobile phone chargers don't put out quite enough power to handle charging the Chromebook. You need a 45W charger that provides 5V, 9V, 15V or 20V. It'll charge fastest with the 20V and wants 2.25A at that voltage. With the other voltages is wants to use 3A, so doesn't charge quite as fast, except with the 15V 3A, which uses the same wattage as the 20V option. If you are plugging in the typical phone charger as 5V 2A you're only getting 2/3 of the charging current they support, and at 10W only a bit less than 25% of the current needed for a normal charge time.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.