Auto Update Policy for Chromebook 11 CB3-132-18C4 (NX.G4XED.047)

Options
Gramphos
Gramphos Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I just ordered an Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-132-18C4 (NX.G4XED.047), but got a bit afraid that it might be using an old platform and not have very long Auto Updates by Google.
The list of supported decives on Google (https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en) does not include any CB3-132 model, but it lists the CB3-131 as ending auto updates in January 2021.

If I'm buying a new laptop I would expect updates for it for at least 3 years, so if the end of life is already after one and a half I will have to return the laptop. Can anyone confirm the end of auto updates date for the Chromebook 11 CB3-132-18C4 (NX.G4XED.047)?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Scroll down a bit on the page to the "tip" to try to find out if your mainboard platform code can be cross referenced with other models at this site https://cros-updates-serving.appspot.com/

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gramphos
    Options
    I was hoping to get an answer while I still am able to cancel the order. Anyone who know what platform it is using?
  • JackE
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Sorry. I doubt you'll get an answer that fast. The safest assumption without the machine in hand is 6.5 year's after the model's first mainboard was released in 2015.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gramphos
    Options
    What makes a new platform in the Chromebook world? One thing I find interested is that the version I ordered has an Atom x5-E8000 processor and 4GB integrated RAM, whereas the others have some Celeron processor and 2GB integrated RAM. To me that sounds like a different mainboard. But I don't know much about laptop mainborads, and how big variations there can be in them before it is considered a new platform.
  • JackE
    Options
    Agreed. But unless somebody chimes in here that has the exact same chromebook submodel, runs the aforementioned cross reference, sees your post, and even cares if it doesn't auto update after 2 years,  I'd guess your chances of getting the answer before you can still cancel the order are pretty slim. How long do you have? If it was mine and got a good deal on it, I'd probably not cancel, expect a 2 year life and really be happy if my expectation is exceeded.   :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gramphos
    Options
    I got the Chromebook drlivered today. I haven't opened it yet, and am still allowed to return it.

On the label on the box it says "SYSTEM BD/BIOS: 11/Google_Cyan.7287.57.180" so I guess it has end of auto updates in one and a half year from now. Not very long. :(

I'll have to do some calculations of the price over expected life time and compare with other Chromebooks before I decide if I ahould keep it.

• JackE
    Options
    Just checked prices in your neighborhood. Seem high. So I changed my mind. If I was paying that much, I'd rather get a Windows or Linux setup. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gramphos
    Options
    I payed 2090 SEK for it, which I think is quite low for that piece of hardware. But for only 17 months of supported OS updates, I'm still not fully decided that it is good value for money in terms of price per computermonth. My previous Chromebook lasted almost 5 years at a similar price, but reached end of automatic updates this summer.
  • JackE
    Options
    Well that's a LOT better price. So I changed my mind again. It's not like the machine won't be usable after June 2021. My only hesitation would be that, unlike Windows machines under Microsoft control, they're currently not as flexible/compatible with alternative and more powerful GUIs than ChromeOS that can extend hardware usefulness far beyond Google control. Folks are working on it though. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ