Predator G3620 - Booting to USB/CD?

Options
xeleion
xeleion Member Posts: 6 New User

I have a Predator AG3620-UR12, just purchased about a week ago.  I've had a couple of random restarts and decided to test my RAM with memtest86+, but couldn't boot to USB or CD.  Upon a bit of research, I figured out this most likely has to do with the newfangled UEFI stuff, but I can't figure out exactly what to disable in the EFI settings/BIOS for the computer to boot from USB.

• Whenever I try to choose different boot devices, it always fails to find anything except the hard drive, even with both a bootable CD and USB drive availabe.
  • I tried disabling SecureBoot as well.  In addition to increasing the startup time at the main boot screen to 4-5 minutes, it still didn't find the bootable devices.
  • Both the CD and the flash drive show up in Win8 just fine.

Anyone have any experience with this machine or a similar model (I assume similar models will have the same BIOS)?  Also, has anyone experienced random restarts or RAM issues?

Best Answer

• xeleion
    Answer ✓
    Options

I've figured it out.

On the AG3620-UR12 mobos there's an option to called 'Legacy OPROM'.  I had to do a bit of research to figure out what OpROM is.  As it turns out, it's a UEFI feature that follows older BIOS protocals, so that legacy devices are compatible.  Once I enabled it (it was disabled by default) everything booted up just fine.

I'm going to take some time to research UEFI and everything that it does.  There's a site dedicated to it - http://www.uefi.org

This thread can be closed now.  However, if anyone has any similar boot issues, feel free to private message me.

Answers

• xeleion
    Options

Bumping, as I still haven't figured this out yet.   Someone has to be experiencing similar issues.

• xeleion
    Answer ✓
    Options

I've figured it out.

On the AG3620-UR12 mobos there's an option to called 'Legacy OPROM'.  I had to do a bit of research to figure out what OpROM is.  As it turns out, it's a UEFI feature that follows older BIOS protocals, so that legacy devices are compatible.  Once I enabled it (it was disabled by default) everything booted up just fine.

I'm going to take some time to research UEFI and everything that it does.  There's a site dedicated to it - http://www.uefi.org

This thread can be closed now.  However, if anyone has any similar boot issues, feel free to private message me.