No Bootable Device -- please restart system Aspire S3

n7athenian
n7athenian Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
So a few weeks ago, my brother accidentally tripped the charger of my Acer Aspire S3 Ultrabook. It, surprisingly, didn't seem to have any cracks but when I tried to boot it, it would load the Acer logo then display the "Boot Menu cannot be found" or something along those lines.

Having a ton of experiences in fixing this particular laptop, I tried to fix it myself. I opened the bottom and found nothing wrong so I disconnected the main battery and connected it after a couple of minutes.

I then thanked every saint there ever is when it went to "Please Wait" after many, many trials of getting into (and failing to get into) repair mode.

I got into the repair mode and, here was my greatest regret, went to "Advanced Options", " Diagnose StartUp" or something like that. Main thing is I went to DIAGNOSE instead of refreshing or resetting when I had the frikin chance.

So it went to diagnose, said it either couldn't find any problems or can't fix it, and so I tried to get back to the repair mode screen. Thing is, it rebooted.

Then after that, I tried doing the normal startup, but now it just loads the Acer logo (without the actual circle thing that actually signifies it to be loading) and then, goes black screen (sometimes), then goes to the "No bootable device -- plase restart system" stuff.

I have tried everything I could search. F10, Alt+F10, F12, F1-12, I even tried F2 for Bios but none of it worked. I couldn't get back to the recovery/repair mode anymore. I can't get into Bios. In short, HELP. I DON'T CARE IF I LOSE MY FILES JUST PLEASE REVIVE MY LAPTOP :(.

Sincerely,
***** at myself for making bad decisions and missed opportunities.

Answers

• n7athenian

Tinkerer

Sorry btw didn't know that was a swear word lol. It was just p i s s e d...
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Press and hold the power button till the machine completely shuts off. Remove the charger. Then check the case bottom/back for a battery reset pinhole. If it exists, gently insert a paper clip to disconnect the battery for about a minute. Then let the machine sit for about 15 minutes.  Then reconnect the charger, turn it back on while at the same time IMMEDIATELY pressing and holding the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If the HDD's hidden recovery partition hasn't been rattled or corrupted a reset screen should appear again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• n7athenian

Tinkerer

@JackE

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
    So I tried that and still...

Any other ideas??
  • JackE
    Yes. The "no bootable device" message suggests that you weren't fast enough with the ALT+F10 routine after turning the machine on. Try this instead. Shut the system completely off again. Then turn it on and ****IMMEDIATELY**** start mashing the F2 key to try to enter the BIOS menu.  Don't wait for any logo screens to appear. Start mashing the F2 right away after hitting the power button. If you get into the BIOS menu, check the Information tab to see if a HDD or SSD is listed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• n7athenian

Tinkerer

@JackE
    If the F2 key worked it wouldn't even show the logo, wouldn't it? It would go straight to Bios. 'Cause I'm smashing F2 right after I pressed the power button, like even before the ppwer indicator lights up, and it still goes to the logo. Also, I tries the Alt F10 key thing again, faster each time, and it still just does the same thing.
  • JackE
    >>>I opened the bottom and found nothing wrong so I disconnected the main battery and connected it after a couple of minutes.>>>

Open it & disconnect the battery again. If you can find the BIOS button cell --- probably cr2023 or cr2025 --- remove that too. Then short the cell's mainboard connections to try to discharge and reset the BIOS. If you can't find the cell, what is your S3's full model number S3-xxx? Jack  E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• n7athenian

Tinkerer

@JackE
    I have a MS2346 model no. Can't read the actual code on the barcode tho.
  • n7athenian

Tinkerer

@JackE
    Okay, so I opened it again, disconnected everything I could, let it just sit there for a bit. Then I connected everything, closed it up, pressed the disconnect battery buttin for about a minute. Then I did the whole wait 15 mins and then turn it on, immediately holding down alt and pressing f10 repeatedly. It's just displaying a black screen now. Like, not even a logo. Is that a good or a bad thing?
  • JackE
    What happens when you try to turn the screen on by pressing the FN+F6 toggle key combo? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• n7athenian

Tinkerer

@JackE
    I left the black screen on last night just to see what happens or if it ever ends and it still goes to the logo, then the whole no bootable device thing. But I'll try the FN F6 combo once I get home thanks.
  • n7athenian

Tinkerer

@JackE
    It went right back to the start. It's booting the way it was on the start of this post. Logo, then after a long wait, no bootable device. 
  • JackE
    >>>Having a ton of experiences in fixing this particular laptop, I tried to fix it myself. I opened the bottom and found nothing wrong so I disconnected the main battery and connected it after a couple of minutes.>>>

Time to open it up again. First, disconnect the HDD from the mainboard. Then button it back up. And try to enter the BIOS menu again by mashing the F2 key immediately after turning it on.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jocobeth85
    Jocobeth85 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Good day am having a problem with my pc I was busy with it the next minute it just shut off and when I try to switch it on this was the message I received 
  • Jocobeth85
    This is the message I get from my display 
  • Jocobeth85
    The message was no bootable device press any key
  • JackE
    Sorry, this thread is over six months old. It would be best if you start your own post on your issue for better exposure to other users who might be able to help faster. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ