Acer Nitro AN515-53, Bios update, bad to worse BOSD, CTD

noelak1
noelak1 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey I don't seem to see my question posted yet in search so here goes. 

My system is Acer Nitro AN515-53. Aside from the laptop getting up to 98 degrees Celsius at times when playing games I've run into a different issue entirely. (Windows 10, fully updated btw).

There was an issue for the longest time where I would get 2-3 second hitching or screen freezes while playing video games. That no long happens after I updated the bios. (That was the only thing I could think of to update after doing a system restore.) (I didn't boot from disk). Now, instead of screen hitches or freezing then resuming. I'm just crash to desktoping. Or just BOSDing. 

An error I got before I did another system reset wiping everything I had (Keep in mind I'm not doing a fresh install, just resetting). "kmode_exception_nothandled" Apparently the Netio.sys had failed. So a google search told me I had to update windows (which I did) OR run "sfc /scan now" in command prompt. Basically. SFC /scan now said some files were corrupted and they couldn't fix it. Will I need to do a clean install? I only CTD while playing video games. Or BOSD. Google Chrome, watching youtube videos or twitch is fine etc. I haven't been able or just don't want to replicate the BOSD I'm assuming it would be the same thing since the reset/wipe. Unsure though, could confirm if more information is necessary. In regards to the logs I could do another SFC Scan now. But like, changing the files manually is way out of my depth. Apparently it has to do with ethernet drivers? But I uninstalled every one of them and reinstall the wireless drivers. I still CTD. Unsure if that is the issue here or not. Updating the bios sort of messed me over. It went from annoying hitching/freezing to unable to play at all.. Basically I just want to play my games. Am I missing something obvious here? Going to do a fresh install of the nvidia drivers and attempt to replicate the BOSD. Any help appreciated regardless of the outcome. Figure I'll need to boot from a usb or something? I also can't downgrade the bios, or don't have the knowledge of how to do that. So like.. It could be the bios?

Answers

• noelak1

Tinkerer

Update. When playing a game it just goes to a black screen and makes a repetitive noise. I have to manually shut it down. Can't seem to replicate the BSOD.
  • I'm not sure if it's a problem with the bios update, as other users have updated and had no performance issues. Have you tried reinstalling windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • noelak1

Tinkerer

I've done it through "reset this pc" in the taskbar. Is the above different?
  • Yes, as you will reinstall the operating system that was provided by Acer if you have not formatted hdd.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • noelak1

Tinkerer

Will give it a shot. Be back in a couple of hours with an update.
  • noelak1

Tinkerer

I'm still having the same problem. Sometimes it just crashes to desktop sometimes it just black screens. Did I manual update of windows updates. All of my drivers are up to date. Unsure how to proceed. Any help appreciated.
  • What is the error code that appears? Also, have you tried to update drivers on intel and nvidia websites?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• noelak1

Tinkerer

There are no errors that appear anymore. It's simply a CTD or black screen now after redownloading/patching  windows updates. I called a local place and they said it's most likely a hardware problem if my software is up to date and patched correctly. I'm just going to send it in seeing as it's under warranty. It wasn't working the best even before this. So yeah.
  • noelak1

Tinkerer

That being said, what's the process for sending something in? Since I'm here.
  • Does the problem with the black screen remain when connecting an external monitor? Have you tried resetting the internal battery? Also, is your notebook still under warranty?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• noelak1

Tinkerer

Haven't tried an external moniter and don't have on to try. I have. Yes, it is.
  • OK! Even so, try resetting the battery again as per this video:
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Entrias
    Entrias Member Posts: 2 New User
    noelak1 said:
    Hey I don't seem to see my question posted yet in search so here goes. 

My system is Acer Nitro AN515-53. Aside from the laptop getting up to 98 degrees Celsius at times when playing games I've run into a different issue entirely. (Windows 10, fully updated btw).

There was an issue for the longest time where I would get 2-3 second hitching or screen freezes while playing video games. That no long happens after I updated the bios. (That was the only thing I could think of to update after doing a system restore.) (I didn't boot from disk). Now, instead of screen hitches or freezing then resuming. I'm just crash to desktoping. Or just BOSDing. 

An error I got before I did another system reset wiping everything I had (Keep in mind I'm not doing a fresh install, just resetting). "kmode_exception_nothandled" Apparently the Netio.sys had failed. So a google search told me I had to update windows (which I did) OR run "sfc /scan now" in command prompt. Basically. SFC /scan now said some files were corrupted and they couldn't fix it. Will I need to do a clean install? I only CTD while playing video games. Or BOSD. Google Chrome, watching youtube videos or twitch is fine etc. I haven't been able or just don't want to replicate the BOSD I'm assuming it would be the same thing since the reset/wipe. Unsure though, could confirm if more information is necessary. In regards to the logs I could do another SFC Scan now. But like, changing the files manually is way out of my depth. Apparently it has to do with ethernet drivers? But I uninstalled every one of them and reinstall the wireless drivers. I still CTD. Unsure if that is the issue here or not. Updating the bios sort of messed me over. It went from annoying hitching/freezing to unable to play at all.. Basically I just want to play my games. Am I missing something obvious here? Going to do a fresh install of the nvidia drivers and attempt to replicate the BOSD. Any help appreciated regardless of the outcome. Figure I'll need to boot from a usb or something? I also can't downgrade the bios, or don't have the knowledge of how to do that. So like.. It could be the bios?

i get the same thing and i litterally cant play games, i can only watch youtube and play light stuff like minecraft, and even then it crashes
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    @Entrias please start a new Topic for your question. Please ensure you give your exact model number for example AN515-** and a detailed description of your problem. Thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★