Acer R11 CB5-132T - Weird power issue after a fall.

Options
raydeen
raydeen Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hl. I'm trying to troubleshoot an R11 for a friend. She was setting it down to charge it for the night, and it fell off onto the floor (not a long fall - about a foot at most onto some pretty soft carpet). When she went to use it the next day, it would turn on, then power cycle before she could connect to her WIFI and log in. I've been taking a look at it, disconnected and reconnected all the little ribbon cables thinking something was loose, but the problem appears to be with either the battery, the battery connector, or something that may read/monitor the battery. When I fully disconnect the battery, it works fine on AC power. The battery is showing about 38% charge or so when I do plug it in, but as soon as I do, it goes into the 20 second or so boot loop. I unfortunately don't have the equipment or know-how to fully test the connections and battery, so I'm hoping someone may be able to narrow it down a bit further so that I can determine what parts (if any) would restore it to working order. I offered to remove the battery for her, but she likes to roam around her house listening to podcasts and such and constantly unplugging/re-plugging the adapter was not an option for her. Hoping for a cheap, easy solution. :) TIA for any and all advice.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    One of the battery's cells has likely shorted out due to a broken internal separator. If it were mine, I'd quickly get the battery out of there for safety reasons and avoid damaging the charger. Stop trying to make it work with the battery installed. Not worth the risk trying to save $35 on a replacement battery. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• raydeen
    raydeen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to go with trying a replacement battery. Found a seller on Ebay that offers free returns and the price was pretty good. That way, if it's not the battery, I won't be out a ton of money and my friend can decide if she wants to pursue further repairs or just buy a new machine. I was really surprised at how minimal and well laid out the unit is inside. And yes, the old battery is fully out so no danger of any damage. Thank you very much!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good luck with it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ