Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

External Speakers (Aspire C24 285)

RAZEL69RAZEL69 Member Posts: 4 New User
I am hoping someone here might be able to help me. Not being a techno buff my pc needs are quite basic and I thought I had bought an ideal solution. An Acer Aspire C24 285 All-in-one made for space saving with a great monitor. Don't need anything super fast or high spec but I do enjoy listening to music and watching films so also purchased a pair of external speakers (which had to be despatched later). I had my PC up and running quickly and loaded all my files from my old computer. However, to my dismay, when I received my new speakers, and tried to plug them in, I found the audio jack seemed to be input and not output. I also have a sound bar with an hdmi cable and thought that might connect - but alas I cannot get that to work either. Does anyone know if there is anyway I can connect external speakers to this Acer? I will be gutted if there isn't a way forward as I doubt now I would be able to return the all-in-one. The internal speakers are pretty poor and I hadn't considered there wouldn't be the ability to connect to external sound. ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Best Answer

• JackEJackE Posts: 19,790 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    >>>I found the audio jack seemed to be input and not output.>>>

You likely found the combo input/output headset/mic jack which resembles --- but is not quite wired the same as --- a speaker-only jack. It is configured for a combo speaker/mic plug with a 4-section ring pinout configuration of a PC headset or OMTP headset as shown below. Your speaker plug is probably a 3-section ring pinout configuration of a stereo audio speaker-only setup.  Almost all the new desktops and laptops have the combo nowadays. You have a number of choices probably the cheapest of which (if you can find one) is a "stereo-to-headset" adapter which essentially is a "stereo jack to headset plug" adapter. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE ACE Posts: 19,790 Trailblazer
    Sorry, could you please check model number again or link to where you purchased this machine? Can't seem to find that all-in-one model number. Jack E/NJ
    Jack E/NJ
  • RAZEL69RAZEL69 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Accepted Answer
    >>>I found the audio jack seemed to be input and not output.>>>

You likely found the combo input/output headset/mic jack which resembles --- but is not quite wired the same as --- a speaker-only jack. It is configured for a combo speaker/mic plug with a 4-section ring pinout configuration of a PC headset or OMTP headset as shown below. Your speaker plug is probably a 3-section ring pinout configuration of a stereo audio speaker-only setup.  Almost all the new desktops and laptops have the combo nowadays. You have a number of choices probably the cheapest of which (if you can find one) is a "stereo-to-headset" adapter which essentially is a "stereo jack to headset plug" adapter. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
  • RAZEL69RAZEL69 Member Posts: 4 New User
    JackE you are an absolute star! I happened to have an adapter tucked away in my bits and bobs box - hey presto it works! Thank you so much - you obviously know your stuff - how great you are, willing to share your knowledge.
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ
    Jack E/NJ
  • Dick68Dick68 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same external speaker connection problem with an Acer Aspire C24 - not sure what sort of adapter I need ?
    Try the PC or OMTP headset configuration. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ