I recently purchased an A315-21-656G why does it run so slowly?

bradyfromthe80s
bradyfromthe80s Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I bought this A315-21-656G and since opening it from the store it has been slow to turn on, and very slow to let me get to the screen to enter my password. I have checked the start up apps and there aren't many. This problem has been persistent and I have looked through all I can to minimize programs and download nothing to this computer, yet it is still slow. All help is appreciated. 

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,434 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Uninstall, don't just disable, any non-Microsoft antivirus software running in the background. Windows Defender and MaliciousSoftwareRemovalTool are all that's needed for most folks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• bradyfromthe80s

Tinkerer

Sorry, I should clarify. It isn't only slow on the startup, it is slow throughout use. I have opened up task manager and it shows that the CPU is jumping to 100% and staying there for minutes. Also the Disk (C) jumps between 50% - 100%. The memory seems to stay stable at 48%.  
  • MrsMkingdon
    MrsMkingdon Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same issue. CPU and disk usage is almost constantly at 100% with no apps or programmes running.
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    whats the configuration of the machine.? like cpu, ram, hdd /ssd etc ..
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • bradyfromthe80s

Tinkerer

@Deejay_tech,

OS = MS windows 10 Home
    Processor = AMD A6-9220 Radeon R4, 5 Compute Cores 2C + 3G, 2500 Mhz 
    Ram = 8.00 Gb
    HHD with 1tb of storage (more like 930 gb though)
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Uninstall, don't just disable, any non-Microsoft antivirus software running in the background. Windows Defender and MaliciousSoftwareRemovalTool are all that's needed for most folks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bradyfromthe80s

Tinkerer

@JackE Thank you for the advice. The only other anti-virus software on here was Norton, which has now been uninstalled.

I wasn't confident that would fix the slowness though. After looking at my task manager and seeing a lot of Google Chrome and a lot of svchost, I found a site that walked me through the svchost memory leak (https://whatsabyte.com/featured/svchost-exe-netsvcs-high-cpu/) this seems to have helped as well as 
  • JackE
    Congrats. Don't overdo it trying to get rid of too many instances of svchost.exe . It's a critical process that is needed for many different apps and programs that you may be running to interact properly with other Win10 files. It's not unusual to have a dozen instances of it running shown in TaskMgr. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bradyfromthe80s

Tinkerer

@JackE Thank you for the advice. The only other anti-virus software on here was Norton, which has now been uninstalled.

I wasn't confident that would fix the slowness though. After looking at my task manager and seeing a lot of Google Chrome and a lot of svchost, I found a site that walked me through the svchost memory leak (https://whatsabyte.com/featured/svchost-exe-netsvcs-high-cpu/) this seems to have helped as well as removing Norton. 

For now I am counting this as resolved, although I am skeptical and wouldn't be surprised if it started slowing down again in the near future.