Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Swift 3 SF315-52 30DU. Is the RAM upgradable?

I have just bought this laptop after the case broke on a old HP laptop and was hoping to transfer the SSD and 16gb of RAM from that to this one. When I opened it up I could not find the slots for the RAM and I am now worried that it is soldered in. I have attached a picture of the laptop. Would it be under the piece of metal covering the motherboard (to the right of the HDD) or am I wasting my time removing that?

https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/scanview/6733E5B831D926C3#SSDFilters

According to the above scan which I made on the laptop it says the 2 X CT8G4SFS824A that I already have will work but does it know that it definitely has the slots or whether is is soldered in?

Also I haven’t had any luck installing the Samsung evo 850 SATA SSD into it either. I have had the same problem that I have now learnt effects many others in that when I put it in the system won’t boot or even load BIOS regardless of wether it is primary drive or even if it is secondary, plugged in via USB booting from the HDD. If I was to buy the P1 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD from Crucial I appreciate that I can return it if it refuses to boot from that too but I was wondering if someone knew if it would or wouldn’t work and would be wasting my time buying it in the first place?

Best Answer

FAQ & Answers

• brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 11,768ACE Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    Hi,
    Yes, you have to remove the motherboard shield to access memory slots, the second snip shows the position of them but I am not 100% sure as service manual states 0 DIMM slots, so you may have to open it and check physically. As for the M.2 SSD, NVMe SSD is compatible with your mode, so the Crucial SSD you mentioned should be fine.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/563668/acer-swift-3-sf315-52-534x-upgrade-question

Please don't click "Like" but click "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.
  • Jimmyw566Jimmyw566 Posts: 2Member New User
    Hi,
    Yes, you have to remove the motherboard shield to access memory slots, the second snip shows the position of them but I am not 100% sure as service manual states 0 DIMM slots, so you may have to open it and check physically. As for the M.2 SSD, NVMe SSD is compatible with your mode, so the Crucial SSD you mentioned should be fine.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/563668/acer-swift-3-sf315-52-534x-upgrade-question

Many thanks for this, have removed the cover and thankfully the two slots were there. I shall also order that SSD and have a try with it.
  • brummyfan2brummyfan2 Posts: 11,768ACE Trailblazer
    Jimmyw566 said:
    Hi,

Many thanks for this, have removed the cover and thankfully the two slots were there. I shall also order that SSD and have a try with it.
    You are most welcome :)
    Please don't click "Like" but click "Yes" for "Did this answer the question", if I resolve the problem.