Fixing/Replacing a broken screen on laptop - Aspire 7 A715-72G-79BH

Options
jedwards
jedwards Member Posts: 8 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives

I ordered an Aspire 7 off of Newegg just under a year ago, and when I turned it on today, the screen gave me a bunch of black and white bars instead of the usual Acer loading screen. These bars persist even after the boot up, which makes me think my display is broken. I can see the top of my mouse pointer, and have been able to unlock it from memory, but the screen still displays nonsense.

Any advice on how I can fix this or replace the screen? I’ve tried restarting it several times, and customer service was no help in remotely fixing the issue. Is there any other fix besides sending it to be repaired?

(Sorry if the formatting is poor, doing this from my phone since my computer is not working).

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the problem remain when you connect an external monitor?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jedwards
    Options
    Does the problem remain when you connect an external monitor?
    I just tried it. No, it does not! Thank you for the suggestion. I guess that proves it’s a hardware problem? Any idea on how I can fix the original laptop screen?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! Is the image displayed correctly on an external monitor? Also, have you tried resetting the internal battery?
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo
    Also, from your report, it is possible that this notebook is still under warranty, correct?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jedwards
    edited August 2019
    Options
    OK! Is the image displayed correctly on an external monitor? Also, have you tried resetting the internal battery?
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo
    Also, from your report, it is possible that this notebook is still under warranty, correct?
    The image does display correctly. I’ll attach a picture.

I tried resetting the internal battery when I was on the phone with customer support, but that didn’t resolve the issue. However, she didn’t tell me to wait about 5 minutes after resetting the battery to turn the computer back on. I’ll try the method described in the video you linked and let you know how it goes. 

I do believe my device is still under a hardware warranty, though it’s not registered with Acer. I still have the slip of paper that says the warranty is good for one year.

*Edited to fix a typo
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Ok! Poste the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jedwards
    Options
    Ok! Poste the result here.
    Still does not fix it unfortunately.

I assume I’ll have to send it in for it to get repaired? There’s not a way to fix it myself?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you enter the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz. Also, I think it might be a problem with the edp cable, the intel graphics chip or even a display problem.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jedwards
    Options
    Can you enter the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz. Also, I think it might be a problem with the edp cable, the intel graphics chip or even a display problem.
    A715-72G-79BH
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It is probably a problem in the same hardware. Try uninstalling the intel driver to see if the problem remains.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jedwards
    Options
    It is probably a problem in the same hardware. Try uninstalling the intel driver to see if the problem remains.

I’ll try that when I get home. Had to go to in to work for a meeting, should be back in a couple of hours.

Thank you for your continued help! I appreciate it a lot!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Ok my friend.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jedwards
    Options
    Ok my friend.
    Unfortunately, the problem persists even after I uninstalled the intel driver...
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Are you plugging the notebook directly into a properly grounded socket? Does the same problem occur when using the notebook on battery power only? Also, did you contact Acer technical support?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but watch this video from 03:40
    https://youtu.be/o5ThMMzC3hM

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jedwards
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but watch this video from 03:40
    https://youtu.be/o5ThMMzC3hM
    It looks very similar to the problem I’m having. There’s no physical crack or break on my screen, and since my entire screen is affected, I’d guess that there’s an issue with my connector? Thank you helping to to identify the probably issue. I’m now a lot more informed. I’ll contact Acer technical support tomorrow and let you know how that goes.

Thanks again!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,831 Trailblazer
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Ok! Post the result here. It is very likely to be some display problem. 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer