Acer S231HL Monitor Fire? Anyone else have this issue?

Options
gduser33688
gduser33688 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 27 in 2020 Archives
My Acer monitor model S231HL caught on fire this morning (Thankfully I was present when it happened). The monitor began to smoke out of the power connector and the cable and the plastic on the back of the monitor melted.  Has anyone else experienced this before?  I have others of the same model, so it has me somewhat concerned that it may happen to the others.  I haven't found any info about a recall online so was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Comments

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Was it not a problem related to your home's power grid?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • gduser33688
    gduser33688 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Not that I'm aware of.  I have a dual monitor set up... both monitors are the same model and only that one monitor had the issue.  No other issues in the office that would point to a power grid issue that I can think of.  No flickering of lights or loss of power to any other devices.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I'm not if it's a situation that tech support will accept to fix under warranty, but have you contacted Acer tech support yet?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • CronickRanger
    CronickRanger Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    yesterday I did have this happen. I was using the monitor for red dead 2 and when I shut down my pc, the monitor started crackling and smoking. I unplugged it and today I took it apart. The soldering around the power plug inside the monitor was chard and it still smells of burned electronics. I don't think I am going to be buying any more Acer products any time soon. I am lucky that the wife stayed up when I went to bed or the house would have been on fire by the time I woke or I would have burnt up in a house fire. My model is a K242HL. Willing to bet both models have the same circuit board.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You cannot simply claim that the crackle and smoke was caused by the monitor @CronicRanger. This may have happened due to some variation in your power grid.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Take a look at your power strip. Most of the ones that advertise themselves as surge arrestors come with some sort of warranty for connected equipment. You pretty obviously got zapped as part of one of the power outages, and the surge arrest function is supposed to block downstream damage. If yours has the warranty they will replace the monitor for you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hellsau
    Hellsau Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    My S231HL monitor almost caught on fire last night. It was on for less than half an hour. I walked into another room, and smelled something burning. I smelled around, trying to see if it was coming from the air conditioner, the hail curler, outside, and eventually I smelled ozone and went to check my monitors - the Acer was not displaying video and the other two were working correctly. I looked behind it, went to pull the power connector out and felt it hot, and instead unplugged the adapter from the power splitter, then pulled the connector out by the cable. The plastic parts on the end were completely molten, and likely would have caught on fire given more time with current running through. None of the other monitors on the same power splitter have had any issues. This seems like a bit of a problem - if I didn't shut my computer off and turn off the power splitter when I wasn't using my desktop this could have been a disaster.

Picture of the melted power connector: https://i.imgur.com/mf0siZ4.jpg
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Hellsau Is your monitor still under warranty?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Hellsau
    Hellsau Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Probably not - I got it some time in 2015 and cannot actually find where I bought it from.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    Hi all,

The topic is closed due to its age, if you still have problems with your computer, I invite you to open a new question or post so that the users of the Acer community can guide you.

Thank you,
    Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.