X35 flickering(Acer X35 monitor)

1121315171828

FAQ & Answers

  • SopaConlecheSopaConleche Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Hi SopaConleche, I have forwarded all detail information (videos, chats, configuration etc.) to the appropriate department for follow up. Unfortunately, we don't have any updates at this moment (the engineering department is still investigating all the feedback provided), once i receive a response will update this thread.
    I recommend following the instructions provided by our technical support agent and send the unit for diagnosis and repair to your local Acer service center.


    Acer-Manny
    It's been over a month since this post. Any updates @Acer-Manny ?   

  • HAL_9000HAL_9000 Member Posts: 39 Devotee
    kot0005 said:
    Nop not happening to me i am at 144hz and fast  OD on my LG IPS monitor. Your X27 could be faulty... you are also using a image that is prolly supposed to cause the effect..
    ?   B)
    I didn't remember to mention your LG doesn't flick. I just pointed out your claim PG27UQ doesn't flick.

    On the other hand, we tend to use a professional picture made for testing pixel inversion. Then you deny using it for testing but in favor of a random picture that is... less intense?  

    From an old topic, PG27UQ and X27 owners can see the artifacts as well. Are the 27' 4K IPS all faulty by your standard?


    i also use a IPS and a TN monitor, and none have any kind of issues OUTSIDE the browser window.
    It does flicker inside the window, but no interlace / inversion problems / backlight flicker outside the browser window.

    It seems to me it must be a VA problem witch is more obvious with increased contrast. It is not the only VA panel with this kind of problem, but for non-FALD monitors this behavior is less obvious.
  • HAL_9000HAL_9000 Member Posts: 39 Devotee
    edited October 2019
    this panel also fails to deliver a true >130Hz experience due to low VA pixel response times of ~7.5ms G2G average. The out-of-black transisions are the biggest problem: 44ms (lol) witch fits inside a 23Hz frame time. So, to be fair, this monitor is like pairing a 800hp V12 engine with a scooter.
    Any fps > 23Hz will cause black smearing, and any fps > 130Hz will decrease the sharpness of the image.
    The 200Hz frame time is 5ms. the 144Hz frame time is 6.9ms => the 200Hz refresh rate is useless for VA's... it is just a marketing stunt
  • SilentMarketSilentMarket Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast
    HAL_9000 said:
    kot0005 said:
    Nop not happening to me i am at 144hz and fast  OD on my LG IPS monitor. Your X27 could be faulty... you are also using a image that is prolly supposed to cause the effect..
    ?   B)
    I didn't remember to mention your LG doesn't flick. I just pointed out your claim PG27UQ doesn't flick.

    On the other hand, we tend to use a professional picture made for testing pixel inversion. Then you deny using it for testing but in favor of a random picture that is... less intense?  

    From an old topic, PG27UQ and X27 owners can see the artifacts as well. Are the 27' 4K IPS all faulty by your standard?


    i also use a IPS and a TN monitor, and none have any kind of issues OUTSIDE the browser window.
    It does flicker inside the window, but no interlace / inversion problems / backlight flicker outside the browser window.

    It seems to me it must be a VA problem witch is more obvious with increased contrast. It is not the only VA panel with this kind of problem, but for non-FALD monitors this behavior is less obvious.
    Pixel inversion is more common on the high refresh rate monitors. High-end TN, VA, even IPS. FALD actually doesn't affect it. 
    Technically, it always happens when voltage switching is irregular, less perfect.  And it is challenging to get it perfect on the high refresh rate.
    The rest depends on the competition between panel manufactures.





  • KaiserlolKaiserlol Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    For me its way too risky to make a purchase like that for a monitor which seems like a beta test.
  • HAL_9000HAL_9000 Member Posts: 39 Devotee
    @SilentMarket
    the higher the contrast, the more significant and obvious the flickering problem becomes.
    The refresh rate part comes into play due to overdriving a very slow VA panel... you cannot pair a VA panel with a 200Hz driver... it makes absolutely no sense. 7.5 ms avg G2G fits in a 130Hz window... any refresh rate higher than that is pointless for this panel.
    not to mention the 44ms out-of-black transitions.
    I think i am going to skip the VA "high refresh rate" generation of panels.

    For me, the LG 38GL950G is the way to go until a true high refresh HDR1000 monitor is developed. This is not a 200Hz display by any means. it is a 144Hz at best
  • SilentMarketSilentMarket Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast
    HAL_9000 said:
    @SilentMarket
    the higher the contrast, the more significant and obvious the flickering problem becomes.
    The refresh rate part comes into play due to overdriving a very slow VA panel... you cannot pair a VA panel with a 200Hz driver... it makes absolutely no sense. 7.5 ms avg G2G fits in a 130Hz window... any refresh rate higher than that is pointless for this panel.
    not to mention the 44ms out-of-black transitions.
    I think i am going to skip the VA "high refresh rate" generation of panels.

    For me, the LG 38GL950G is the way to go until a true high refresh HDR1000 monitor is developed. This is not a 200Hz display by any means. it is a 144Hz at best
    The response time depends on the test method. And there is no standard test method for it. So everyone speaks differently about it. 
    The monitor should be rather fast, it should be around 5ms and then the manufacturers won't lie about it. 
    If it is claimed 2ms G2G 200Hz, then it is 99% true. The tricky part is that they will use overdrive to make it happen. 
    That is the reason the ghosting effect is intense on this monitor.

  • HAL_9000HAL_9000 Member Posts: 39 Devotee
    @SilentMarket
    check out this review, m8. https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg35vq.htm
    this guys know what they are doing. the numbers are legit. this is not a 200Hz panel. It is a 120Hz capable panel paired with a 200Hz capable driver.
    A scooter with a V12 engine
  • KaiserlolKaiserlol Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Unfortunatley the LG 38GL950G is only HDR 400 which is poitnless; otherwise it is a good monitor. Id buy it with a better HDR format....
  • SilentMarketSilentMarket Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast
    HAL_9000 said:
    @SilentMarket
    check out this review, m8. https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg35vq.htm
    this guys know what they are doing. the numbers are legit. this is not a 200Hz panel. It is a 120Hz capable panel paired with a 200Hz capable driver.
    A scooter with a V12 engine

    I checked that review. The test method is their own stuff though it shouldn't go wrong anywhere. 
    On their response tests. They specifically mentioned if ignore particular slow black > grey transitions, the response time is around 5ms. And almost 90% transitions we see are above that, they are grey->white transitions.
    At 180Hz and 200Hz, they only tested OD Normal. They didn't test the OD extreme. They said the overshoot was too pronounced. I guess the test method is busted on that.
    Overall these test sites need to give an opinion in favor of their own.
    The normal user should see the difference between 200Hz and 144Hz on this monitor. It is 180Hz native, 5.5ms can be easily guaranteed. So no need to be worried about response time.
  • kot0005kot0005 Member Posts: 56 Devotee
    kot0005 said:
    Nop not happening to me i am at 144hz and fast  OD on my LG IPS monitor. Your X27 could be faulty... you are also using a image that is prolly supposed to cause the effect..
    ?   B)
    I didn't remember to mention your LG doesn't flick. I just pointed out your claim PG27UQ doesn't flick.

    On the other hand, we tend to use a professional picture made for testing pixel inversion. Then you deny using it for testing but in favor of a random picture that is... less intense?  

    From an old topic, PG27UQ and X27 owners can see the artifacts as well. Are the 27' 4K IPS all faulty by your standard?


    I dont have a Pg27uq but when i had it there was no flickering or scanlines in any games or images.
  • guesswhoguesswho Member Posts: 4 New User
    @SilentMarket You're that guy with "connections to ASUS, directly to R&D" right? The one who created that r/ultrawidemasterrace post with a PG35VQ and 2 PG27UQ? Just drop it, you're all over forums and no matter how much you kick and scream these monitors are still flawed beyond usability.

    Where's that physical ROG store you got that monitor from btw?
  • kot0005kot0005 Member Posts: 56 Devotee
    edited October 2019

    What surprises me most is some cry babies always yell. 

    It is like you bought the fastest exotic car on the market and yell to everyone "Hey! My Buggati's inventory space is too small!"  

    Show some attitude and buy yourself another SUV, please? 

    If you don't like it, return it. No need to force others to be the victims.  

    It is life. Enjoy the moment. 

    I like my X35, it is VA panel, it flickers. Then what? I got the 200Hz and HDR. The fastest 21:9 monitor in this world. If there is another one, a better one next year, hopefully, IPS. By that time I will still buy it. 

    [sigh in Italian]

    I Only your new Buggati doesnst work properly and displays ugly flickering and scanlines ... may be you should get off these forums if your monitor is workin. why waste your time ?

     I also have multiple confirmations from Asus and nvidia saying its a known issue and they are trying to fix it.

    The fact that i tested 4 monitors on different setups and found these issues is plenty proof that these monitors have a major fault. If you dont have it then stop posting here. 

    This thread is for people having similar issues.

    Also not ghosting or overshoot otherwise there would be heaps of VA panel users complaining. Sure, it may occur on a few VA panels but its occurs on 100% of the X35's and PG35VQ's which indicates that they are faulty.
  • HAL_9000HAL_9000 Member Posts: 39 Devotee
    edited October 2019
    @SilentMarket
    there are always tradeofs. those deep blacks will always be ~9 frames behind @200Hz or 6 frames behind @144Hz on this monitors. The true advantage of this monitors over IPS is the deep blacks witch with a 45ms transition time is a smeary mess, and strobe-like flickering in some scenarios, and scanlines due do pixel inversion in other scenarios.
    How does this pair with the 2800 euros price tag ?
  • SilentMarketSilentMarket Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast
    kot0005 said:
    kot0005 said:
    Nop not happening to me i am at 144hz and fast  OD on my LG IPS monitor. Your X27 could be faulty... you are also using a image that is prolly supposed to cause the effect..
    ?   B)
    I didn't remember to mention your LG doesn't flick. I just pointed out your claim PG27UQ doesn't flick.

    On the other hand, we tend to use a professional picture made for testing pixel inversion. Then you deny using it for testing but in favor of a random picture that is... less intense?  

    From an old topic, PG27UQ and X27 owners can see the artifacts as well. Are the 27' 4K IPS all faulty by your standard?


    I dont have a Pg27uq but when i had it there was no flickering or scanlines in any games or images.
    If you had a chance to test it, it will be there. Just like the rest of the monitors. 
  • SilentMarketSilentMarket Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast
    guesswho said:
    @SilentMarket You're that guy with "connections to ASUS, directly to R&D" right? The one who created that r/ultrawidemasterrace post with a PG35VQ and 2 PG27UQ? Just drop it, you're all over forums and no matter how much you kick and scream these monitors are still flawed beyond usability.

    Where's that physical ROG store you got that monitor from btw?
    ? I don't have PG35VQ. Mine is X27. I saw that post though. The links are all over the place.


  • guesswhoguesswho Member Posts: 4 New User
    guesswho said:
    @SilentMarket You're that guy with "connections to ASUS, directly to R&D" right? The one who created that r/ultrawidemasterrace post with a PG35VQ and 2 PG27UQ? Just drop it, you're all over forums and no matter how much you kick and scream these monitors are still flawed beyond usability.

    Where's that physical ROG store you got that monitor from btw?
    ? I don't have PG35VQ. Mine is X27. I saw that post though. The links are all over the place.


    Oh please, just look at what you linked, how you type. It's like I'm reading the same posts in a different forum. Whatever, I hope ASUS pays you for what you're trying to fabricate here.
  • SilentMarketSilentMarket Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast
    @HAL_9000 It was never worth it. The monitor got HDR1000 and Ultrawide and high fresh for the first time. It got no competitor. Even it was busted now the price won't drop unless somebody made a similar one.
  • guesswhoguesswho Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited October 2019
    Since I can't edit my post apparantly @SilentMarket :
    You linked your own video in three different threads within minutes. Overclock.net, techpowerup.com and this thread here.

    You just claimed you have a X27 yet in techpowerup.com you claim you have a PG27UQ and a PG35VQ "bought 3 months ago from the physical ROG store way ahead of the availability than any other online retailer" which goes back to that r/ultrawidemasterrace post. 

    So, where is that physical ROG store located?

    You're full of it tbh and I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish with your crusade about ghosting/flickering and whatnot. Again: no matter how much you kick and scream these monitors are still flawed beyond usability.

  • HAL_9000HAL_9000 Member Posts: 39 Devotee
    maybe the AG353UCG will make the flaw clearer once AOC releases it.
    As much as i wanted a HDR1000 high refresh UW, i personally lost hope it will behave differently since it uses the same VA panel driven by the same G-sync module  :/
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online1.3K

0scip
0scip
alskaaaa
alskaaaa
Berryyy
Berryyy
billsey
billsey
brummyfan2
brummyfan2
dallok
dallok
Danny7878
Danny7878
egydiocoelho
egydiocoelho
gautamkp
gautamkp
Haklo
Haklo
Hikari23
Hikari23
kriska
kriska
Lemonrider
Lemonrider
LeonidasFilho
LeonidasFilho
ltmwetfnv
ltmwetfnv
Masteruniversal
Masteruniversal
MonsterVic
MonsterVic
MsLes
MsLes
Puppa
Puppa
Ronnback92
Ronnback92
Saxbav
Saxbav
shaunk91
shaunk91
superheros253
superheros253
TS77
TS77
xapim
xapim
+1.3K Guests

Join in, share your experience!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Assistance by Acer


Drivers &
Manuals

Acer
Answers

Get Product Information
( only)

Acer Support
Videos