My aspire a315 i got for my Christmas has a broken hinge?

Options
Aidan2006
Aidan2006 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
I am really disappointed in the quality of the casing on my laptop, I only got it at Christmas and I have only done a few school projects on it and some youtube watching. The hinge has broken and and now its almost impossible to open or close it without doing further damage. Help please. Was bought from Argos.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Physical damage like this is usually not covered by warranty. Laptop hinges are subject to great stress and can be damaged like this by excessive opening and closing of the lid. You should try to prevent further damage by using a 2-part epoxy like JBWeld to repair the existing damage and possibly color-coordinated duct tape to further strengthen area. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Aidan2006
    Aidan2006 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Well I phoned Acer, was given a reference number and told they would contact me, I was hopeful as the first person I spoke to seemed quite helpful. This didnt happen, I had to phone back to be told by a less than helpful person that this kind of damage(suggesting the laptop had been abused) was not covered by warranty. The laptop has only been used since Christmas day 2018.  Its never been dropped and not been abused. The hinges are clearly inferior products and not up to the normal use of a laptop which by design is meant to be opened and closed, they became very stiff and in return has cause the bezel around the screen to be broken. I was then told I would have to pay £50 to send it to them for an assessment thats even before any repair. On a 7 month old product. What an absolute joke of a company. What happened to customer service? I would wholeheartedly never recommend acer to anyone and I will never be using their products again. Oh and in case they actually bother to read this. I work for a company who use alot of tech products and are in the market for new ones, guess what we wont be buying. Acer your loss. Big fail!! 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sorry. This is a users forum. You can still try to repair the damage as suggested in my earlier post. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ